You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2023 9:48 am  #1

loon harpoon marks

early aug while laker fishing ,,, several lake trout were caught that appeared to have harpoon wounds about the same size, shape of a loon bill .  the fish seemed very healthy and did fight well on lead core,  showing no ill effects.
   we caught and released ( fishing barbless) approx 30 trout . 2 fish had the wounds as mention above. 
 as we reeled the trout in slowly , the fish were blowing bubbles and spitting out first year perch that they were feeding on.  
     i guess the lakers got in the way of the loons that were also feeding on first year perch,
has any one else notice these marks on lakers before ??
     cheers 

9/27/2023 2:55 pm  #2

Re: loon harpoon marks

swedish pimple wrote:

appeared to have harpoon wounds about the same size, shape of a loon bill

Were they circular or elongated? my thoughts, especially with lakers, would be lamprey?

9/27/2023 3:36 pm  #3

Re: loon harpoon marks

i believe that there are no lamprey in Algonquin,, just the great lakes,,
  these marks were not round or circular,,  kinda diamond/oval  shaped  like the bill of a loon,,  
     side note,, early this year i was catching lakers that had no marking on them at all, these fish were all slate grey colour ,  orange flesh and the one kept tasted great,,  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.