You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2023 7:55 am  #1

Piece in Explore Magazine (online)

Hi all,

Explore Magazine published an article I wrote for them on their online platform today. It focuses on the three biggest mistakes I've made while paddling and what I learned from those mistakes. Writing for someone else was a new experience for me. I'm not used to having an editor (which is obvious if you've waded through any of my trip reports), and it's an interesting feeling seeing something you wrote that's been reinterpreted by someone else (to an extent). 

Anyways, the article is here. Check it out if you've got a minute!

https://www.explore-mag.com/Dont-Race-Thunder-Tips-for-the-Perfect-Paddle

7/20/2023 8:40 am  #2

Re: Piece in Explore Magazine (online)

Entertaining article and all (of course) good advice - always better if it comes from someone who's been there, done that, and can speak knowledgeably about the consequences.  It is interesting to see material from your blog edited for a major publication, after having read your original posts.  They've smoothed it out and tightened it up, but your personality still comes through (and that's a good thing).
Well done, and I hope you have more opportunities to appear in Explore or other similar publications.

7/20/2023 7:38 pm  #3

Pretty cool t get published Drew. Congratulations and nice article.

7/20/2023 7:56 pm  #4

Good article Drew! You tell a great story, hopefully there will be more articles in the future.

7/21/2023 11:02 am  #5

Even with editing your sense of humour shines through! Good Job and congrats!!

7/23/2023 9:32 pm  #6

Thanks everyone! I was away the last few days, but very much appreciate the kind words and support.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (7/23/2023 9:34 pm)

7/23/2023 10:42 pm  #7

great read ,, good work drew,,
 you have made some  excellent points,, i can relate to the broken paddle,, and getting caught in 2 thunder storms, one in the day time one at night,, it seems that the storms will hide behind a ridge and then jump out,
      thanks again   

8/01/2023 7:54 am  #8

Congrats Drew!  I had the experience of getting published many years ago, but the subject matter wasn't particularly exciting.  It was a recurring article in a trade magazine about government contracting.  Gripping content for sure.  Each installment was some absurd contracting scenario, and Karla the Contractor used portions of the regulations to save the day.  The first few installments were pretty good, then I ran out of ideas, then I started getting answers wrong, then they stopped running it.  But still, it was fun while it lasted.  

You won't have any of those problems.

The common thread mistake you summed up, more or less complacency to the point of maybe getting a little cocky, reminded me of teaching my kids to drive.  That didn't stop with them getting their licenses, not by a longshot.  It doesn't take long before they've got enough experience behind the wheel to get both cocky and complacent.  Once in a while something happens that kind of puts you in your place, erases that attitude, and humbles you a bit.  You just have to hope those humility checks happen in situations that don't result in anything bad, and that's usually the case.

Anyway, congratulations, Drew.  It was a fun read, you're a very engaging writer, and I hope your opportunities continue to expand.

8/04/2023 3:39 pm  #9

Congrats man that's amazing!!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.