You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2023 9:33 am  #1

Canoe Retrieval

I was extracted due to torn calf muscle but canoe still cached on the Nippising R. Is there anyone travelling on the Nip downstream and going to Brent now or within the next 30 days ??? 

6/14/2023 10:42 am  #2

Re: Canoe Retrieval

Man - I am sorry to hear about this and hopefully someone can retrieve the canoe soon. I won't be up in that area till early August, or I'd help ya out.

I do have some questions, if you don't mind. Specifically, the extraction. You were on the Nipissing River - not too many (though some) roads around and nowhere to land a plane - did rangers paddle up river to come get you?

6/14/2023 11:07 am  #3

Cheers, thanks for reaching out. RCAF Helicopter paramedics extracted me and all of my kit except the canoe. Original plan was to land in Gibson and paddle/portage to me but that was scraped, thankfully.

6/14/2023 3:34 pm  #4

Yikes.  Try hitting up some Facebook groups and Myccr, even if no one is planning on heading through, maybe it will spark a trip plan?

6/14/2023 7:36 pm  #5

A trip with actual purpose - I'd be all over that.

6/15/2023 7:45 am  #6

TripperMike wrote:

Yikes.  Try hitting up some Facebook groups and Myccr, even if no one is planning on heading through, maybe it will spark a trip plan?

You might have luck with the Meanest Link FB group, they're pretty active and I could see someone either diverting a trip or taking one specifically to retrieve this.  

6/15/2023 2:14 pm  #7

Thanks guys,  done both myccr and FB...no luck so far

6/16/2023 5:26 am  #8

Good luck! 
I did a trip the first week of may coming out from the nipissing this year, I ended up travelling the entire way from burntroot back to cedar via the nipissing in around 9 hours solo (wanted to see if I could). I made it no problem and camped on cedar that night. The next morning I went to hike the brent crater and stepped on a rock with just my toes, I felt my calf muscle stretch then pop as I tried to gain balance, then I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes in some of the worst pain ive felt in my life. I had to almost literally crawl back to my truck, I was wondering what if this happened the day before down the nipissing, I figured I would have needed an extraction for sure. I hope you heal well, mine is still sore over a month later.

6/16/2023 7:40 am  #9

injuryintheforest eh ,,,sorry to hear about your injury,, tough spot to be in ,,
    where approx on the nip is your canoe,,  (inbox me) does the canoe have a yoke, did you leave paddles behind ? 

7/20/2023 2:31 pm  #10

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have my canoe.I am happy to report that (3 Meanest Linkers) picked up my canoe from the Allen Rapids portage and delivered it for me at Kiosk on July 11, 2023…..REUNITED! The canoe and everything in the list that I left with the canoe were in place after 2 months just sitting there….awesome.Started a trip up there on the 12th and just got back yesterday hence sending this out now. Again, thank you very much EVERYONE for your help. Stay safe, healthy and...Keep your paddle wet,Borys

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.