You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2016 9:21 am  #1

3 day trip

looking to take girls out this summer.  At tis time,  I think I can only go a few days at a time.  I would think Friday till Sunday is probably better and Saturday to Monday, unless someone think otherwise.    Looking for a simple 3 day loop and was looking at the Canoe Lake access.  I would think Burnt Island Lake, Sunbeam and Tom Thomson Lake get full during the weekend in August.  ( confirmation would be appreciated). 

Any suggestion on a simple 3 day trip.  I will be with two young teenagers (12 and 14), they are good canoeist ( got confirmation of this from their counselors at a week long canoe trip camp.  I will be paddling with a young exited golden retriever. 
We will need to rent a few canoes, I normally rent at Oxtongue Lake location.
I was thinking of Burnt Island for one night and Tom Thomson for the second. 

Help me out.
Thanks
Sebastien

2/04/2016 10:30 am  #2

Re: 3 day trip

You certainly could do that route in 3 days. Thing is, it's a very popular one in a busy area of the park. On an August weekend you'd be traveling alongside a lot of other canoeists, and portages would feel like crowded city park promenades, especially near the beginning and end of the route. Not only that, but Canoe, Tepee, Joe and Little Joe Lakes are populated with cottages, summer camps and a lodge, so really only your second day, and the evening of the first, would feel more like wilderness than bustling cottage country. I would rather do that loop in the shoulder season when the camps are out of session and the area less busy. (And I say that as someone who's done variations on it in May and September as well as in July.) If you went south on Smoke instead of north on Canoe, even though you'd still be on a busy route, at least you'd be past all the development by the time you crossed your first portage. The Rock Lake access point would also get you into less busy/developed areas sooner.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but if home is in the GTA, southwestern Ontario or somewhere in that direction, you might consider something out of a west-side access point instead of the Highway 60 corridor. Starting from Magnetawan (access point 3) you could do a nice 3-day loop with one night on Misty and one on Queer or Little Trout, travelling between the two either via Shah Lake and the Tim River or the Little Misty-Queer portage, depending on how water levels are. Starting from Kiosk and looping through Club and Maple might also be a possibility though I don't know what water levels on Maple Creek in August are like. If you're coming from east of the park you might look at something in the Brent or Achray area.

"I normally rent at Oxtongue Lake location"  - of what outfitter? If you do stick with Canoe or Smoke Lake there's the Portage Store right at the Canoe Lake access point, but Algonquin Bound (at Oxtongue Lake) is a little cheaper and has started making free deliveries to Highway 60 access points. If you go with access points 2, 3 or 4, Canoe Algonquin in Kearney and Algonquin Basecamp in the same area are on the way in and make deliveries for a fee. If you go to Kiosk, Algonquin North Wilderness Outfitters is on the way in and makes deliveries, last year they delivered for free but I don't know if they'll continue to make that offer.

By the way my route suggestions all assume you want a 3-day loop, since that's what you started with. If you're also open to a there-and-back trip, or a 2-day loop with an extra day for exploring and relaxing in the middle, there are lots of other options as well.

Last edited by DanPM (2/04/2016 10:31 am)

2/04/2016 11:16 am  #3

the rock lake, galeiry, pen lake, back to rock lake can easily be done in 3 days. easy portages. or rock lake, pen lake, clydegale, that ones not a loop. However, all access points along hw 60 are very very busy in the summer months. may have to make reservations far in advance. What i like about these 2 trips: did them myself with teens, large campsites, between rock and pen is a waterfall that asks to be played in, several sites with sandy beaches. I particularly liked the first site of the portage to pen, its right beside the waterfalls, and a nice large site. Not so great is the amount of people paddling by from the portage (busy portage) but my teens rather liked watching the antics of all different kinds of travellers.
If you want total peace and quiet, this is not the route for you. Rock lake has 2 campgrounds, as well as the occasional motorboat, so its a busy area. 

2/04/2016 11:22 am  #4

We do most of our 3 day trips as 'there and back' rather than as loops. We'll paddle in on day 1, set up camp for the 2 nights and spend the middle day day tripping. Now, a lot of these trips have been with me and 1 of my kids when they were younger than yours so keeping things simple and having a comfort level on how much work it would be to get home on the last day were a couple of considerations for me. 

Most of the Algonquin trips I have written up here are 3-4 day trips: http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/TripReportsHome.php

I definitely agree with planning Friday - Sunday rather than Saturday - Monday as the traffic will be lighter getting in on Friday which lets you get set up with more choice of sites. It's also another advantage of a base camp approach as opposed to a loop in that by day tripping on Saturday you are already settled in rather than competing for a site with other folks who are coming in on Saturday. 

DanPM is right that there are cottages, etc. on Joe Lake and others in the area, but there are lots of sites on Joe where you won't see a cottage. When my daughter and I were in that area we went mid-week in the middle of summer and really weren't bothered by the traffic. It was certainly busier than some other trips but better than I thought it might be. 

2/04/2016 11:40 am  #5

I like the Rock-Galeairy-Pen-Rock loop tentsforever suggested, but it is a little short for 3 days. If you do choose it, perhaps consider camping on Pen Lake for both nights, and using the middle day to make day trips farther in (perhaps see Clydegale or Welcome), as it's not worth breaking camp just to move a short distance. Rock Lake has some interesting stuff to see along the way, like the pictographs on the cliff in Picto Bay, but I wouldn't camp there for the reason tentsforever says.

The Rock - Pen - Welcome - Louisa - Rock loop would be good for 3 days, but it involves some long portages.

Personally, while I don't mind seeing some canoe traffic, I prefer to camp on motorboat-free lakes, especially in Algonquin where there is so much opportunity to do so. That's why I wouldn't camp on Joe, Rock or Galeairy. But that's just my own preference and not everyone feels the same way.

I think if you are going to camp in the same spot for both nights, there's a definite advantage to a Friday-Sunday trip over a Saturday-Monday trip, in that you'll get to pick your site before all the weekend campers get there. If you're camping on 2 different lakes then the advantage is a bit less clear, I would just say try to arrange it so that you're on the less busy lake on the Saturday night.

2/04/2016 12:35 pm  #6

Thinking about.. Little Trout/ Misty/Daisy with my kids. One longer portage in there but the days aren't long..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/04/2016 10:07 pm  #7

We are doing camping on white fish then 2 nights on Clydegale in May with 5 kids. At your kids ages putting in on rain lake then islet or even crane bill could be very doable. Jubilee from rain is nice too. Or daisy .

2/04/2016 10:18 pm  #8

ShawnD wrote:

Thinking about.. Little Trout/ Misty/Daisy with my kids. One longer portage in there but the days aren't long..

This is a great suggestion.  Beautiful lakes.  And the Westward travel is on the river which, quite aside from being a great paddle, is a definite plus in the event of windy conditions.

2/06/2016 10:51 am  #9

Just a word of caution. You mentioned you're gonna be travelling with a young exited golden retriever. I'm sure you understand that in the event of a dump with your canoe in case the dog jumps out, that it would cause panick if you are far away from shore. The young dog may not yet have the ability to swim far and it's ability to survive may be as risk. The other problem with a young dog is it may use its tail quite heavily to steer and either get back to you or to shore. It would not be the first time in such circumstances that a dog bruises its tailbone where it is attached to its body  due to heavy swishing and cry in pain for sometimes several days afterwards.
Please stay close to shore and/ or make sure it has a life jacket due to its young age. Mature, waterloving dogs like retrievers usually do not panick, but the sore tailbone can be an issue for them too in case of a far swim.
Wanda S

2/06/2016 10:59 am  #10

I have done Rock, Pen and Clydegale a few years back,  it was quiet as our trip was done in late October.  I will look at the West access as it is  a good option. I figure Canoe lake would be busy.
 Last year we car camp coming back from Quebec City at Presqu'ile PP.  MY daughters were quick to point out that Canoeing is much quieter than Car Camping.  This is why maybe West access would be better.  

I driving up from KW area.  
I normally rent a Algonquin Outfitters.  Is there a location for rental on access #3?
 We will be paddling 2 canoes.  We pack fairly light but I don't think the girls can carry a canoe and their pack for 2km. 
I will look into the West Gate Access.  I am not too sure about a 2Km plus portage either to be honest (I need to start doing more exercise for the summer).

Thanks for all you input and will pull my map out tonight.  Any more suggestion would be welcome.  

Sebastien

Last edited by Sebastien (2/06/2016 11:02 am)

2/06/2016 11:09 am  #11

Access 2 Tim river to Rosebary may be an idea . Outfitter  ( I think it is Algonquin bound) near Kearny, you drive right by it on the way to access point.
Check water levels with them if you decide to go there, as Tim river can be low.
One short but steep on one side portage. Fantastic beach on north side of Rosebary. Lots if exploring can be done. River between portage and Rosebary is very winding, lots of people have seen moose there, but river does have 5 beaver dams to cross.

2/06/2016 3:53 pm  #12

Canoe Algonquin in Kearney and Algonquin Basecamp in Elmsdale(ish) both deliver canoes to access points 2, 3 and 4. I've always used Canoe Algonquin in that area, conveniently located right by the permit office in Kearney. Access points 2 and 3 are both nice but I think 3 is better for a 3-day loop trip, though a there-and-back from 2 to Rosebary can also be nice as tentsforever describes. This is not the "west gate" -- west gate refers to the west end of the Highway 60 corridor, near Oxtongue Lake.

ShawnD, I noticed this past season that Daisy was booked up a lot of the time. So reserve early if you want to camp there. I *think* they increased the camping quota there by 2 for this year, not sure if that will make a difference.

2/07/2016 1:07 pm  #13

I wouldn't be too ambitious, honestly. Drive up from KW, late breakfast or lunch in Huntsville, rent canoes at Oxtongue, access Smoke Lake. The wind will dictate which shore to hug (after an initial bit of open water). Easy portage to Ragged Lake, cruise around the lake, find a site, set up base camp.

That's a good day in my books. Everything takes longer than you think on the first day, you know?You ve said you're a little out of shape and while they were considered good canoeists by their counsellors, it's relative---your kids are probably not late-teen strength paddlers. And it's a long drive.

Next day, day trip to Big Porcupine, and possibly Bonnechere or Little Coon for a picnic. Maybe some fishing. Maybe bushwhack to the top of Manitou Mtn near Little Coon (Check out Ontario Highpoints website). Then back to your Ragged Lake base camp for dinner.

Last day, break camp, either check out Parkside Bay and go out to Smoke by the alternate route, or return the way you came.

You sound like a seasoned canoeist, but I think it's best to plan conservatively for the first trip with your teens since you are not really aware of your kids' abilities except secondhand. And there's a doggy factor that could slow you down, or even cause a dumping. Dumping on Smoke is good; a cottager will be out to help you in no time flat if they see you're in trouble. I know you want solitude, but having that first lake as a cottage lake has some advantages.

Last edited by Methye (2/07/2016 1:08 pm)

2/24/2016 9:51 am  #14

Methye wrote:

I wouldn't be too ambitious, honestly. Drive up from KW, late breakfast or lunch in Huntsville, rent canoes at Oxtongue, access Smoke Lake. The wind will dictate which shore to hug (after an initial bit of open water). Easy portage to Ragged Lake, cruise around the lake, find a site, set up base camp.

That's a good day in my books. Everything takes longer than you think on the first day, you know?You ve said you're a little out of shape and while they were considered good canoeists by their counsellors, it's relative---your kids are probably not late-teen strength paddlers. And it's a long drive.

Next day, day trip to Big Porcupine, and possibly Bonnechere or Little Coon for a picnic. Maybe some fishing. Maybe bushwhack to the top of Manitou Mtn near Little Coon (Check out Ontario Highpoints website). Then back to your Ragged Lake base camp for dinner.

Last day, break camp, either check out Parkside Bay and go out to Smoke by the alternate route, or return the way you came.

You sound like a seasoned canoeist, but I think it's best to plan conservatively for the first trip with your teens since you are not really aware of your kids' abilities except secondhand. And there's a doggy factor that could slow you down, or even cause a dumping. Dumping on Smoke is good; a cottager will be out to help you in no time flat if they see you're in trouble. I know you want solitude, but having that first lake as a cottage lake has some advantages.

My thoughts, exactly. This is the usual route I suggest to people going tripping to Algonquin for the first time or for those introducing someone to tripping. It's a good day's paddle, lots of day trip possibilities, great camp sites, swimming and fishing. And although you will see some canoes going by, you'll still have that feeling of solitude we all enjoy.

Another slightly shorter option is Access #8 at Cache Lake, through Tanamakoon and into Little Island Lake. A nice little weekend getaway although I've never been there when the camp on Tanamakoon was open.

Dave

2/24/2016 9:59 am  #15

The Ragged Lake loop option is something I did this past summer with relatives visiting from overseas, mostly first-timers. I wrote about the trip for the trip report contest, didn't win but you can see it here if you're interested: http://www.algonquinadventures.com/TripLogContest2015/Cat5/DanMinkin2/DanMinkin2.htm

A crowded area in the summer, but a pretty one, with plenty of quiet little bays to find solitude.

Personally I don't think trips starting from a west-side access point are really any more ambitious or challenging (for someone coming from the southwest) than trips from the Highway 60 corridor... in my case I picked the latter because I wanted to take advantage of Highway 60 amenities, like a campground for the jumpoff night and hiking trails for those arriving early the day before.

If you are starting at Smoke or Canoe, Algonquin Bound at Oxtongue Lake will deliver canoes there for free by arrangement. There's also the Portage Store right at Canoe Lake (slightly higher rates) which is just a short paved "portage" across the highway from Smoke.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.