You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2016 11:39 am  #1

General Purpose Camp Knife

Just wondering what everyone uses for their camp knife?  On my last trip I busted my SOG Seal Pup so I'm looking to get a new knife.  I'm pretty hard on my knife and use it mainly for batoning firewood, etc.. (that's how I busted my SOG).  I can't justify spending huge dollars on a knife because I think I would be afraid to use it the way I want to use it if it were a costly knife.  I'm going to be picking up a Gerber Big Rock from MEC ( http://www.mec.ca/product/5015-144/gerber-big-rock-fixed-blade/ ).  It's a cheap knife but apparently it holds up pretty well and is fairly highly rated for the price.  What knives do you guys use, and what tasks do you use your knives for?

2/01/2016 12:35 pm  #2

Re: General Purpose Camp Knife

If you're hard enough on any knife it will eventually break. However, there are some knives that are tougher than others and can stand up to that abuse for longer. My current abusing knife (the one I use to split wood and do other silly things with) is a Coldsteel Recon Tanto Ken the Knife by Zen, on Flickr. I also carry a Spyderco Schempp Rock for kitchen duties Spydie by Zen, on Flickr

I carry a folder as well, a Spyderco Military, more of an edc used mostly for cutting rope and that sort of thing. 
You can go online to https://www.srknives.com fantastic store at the Woodbine Centre, better prices than most retailers and wonderful staff that know their stuff. Always keep your knife sharp ;)

Last edited by ZenSoloist (2/01/2016 12:45 pm)

2/01/2016 12:36 pm  #3

I use this one. I bought it in 97 and still looks the same. Stays nice and sharp. It's an awesome all around camp knife. Good and sturdy lots of back bone. Never leave home without it! On camping trips that is!

http://www.amazon.ca/Buck-Knives-0120BKS-Phenolic-General/dp/B00HTWJJ9U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454347601&sr=8-10&keywords=buck+knife

I'm just gone Fishin!

2/01/2016 12:41 pm  #4

Trying to split one piece of firewood by whacking at the back of a folding knife with another baton of firewood on the back of the blade is bound to either wreck the pivot or break the blade. I suggest getting a thug of a made-in-China fixed-blade for hanging on your belt .. for splitting firewood and defending against a charging beast. And a quality folding pocket knife with a hard-steel blade for finer work and a longer-life edge.

2/01/2016 12:41 pm  #5

I forgot to mention that you can still get this at Canadian Tire for 59.99, not the amazon price!

I'm just gone Fishin!

2/01/2016 12:47 pm  #6

Splakin I actually have a knife that looks very similar to that one.  I don't know where I got it (but I know it was a cheapo) but I smash that thing around like crazy and it's still together now.  It's a bit bent but works not bad.  I wish I knew what make it is as I would get another for sure

2/01/2016 1:02 pm  #7

Found this website. It has some pretty frank knife reviews .. http://www.kniferating.com

2/01/2016 6:59 pm  #8

I've been using the Gerber Big Rock for a number of years, and have been happy with it.  It holds it's edge pretty well, and the blade is quite thick.  Maybe 2x thicker than most knives, so it should hold up to batoning firewood (I do this, but not often).  I suspect you're going to be harder on it than I am, but for the price it's probably a good option.

2/01/2016 8:14 pm  #9

Stainless steel Mora Bushcraft. Not the Companion and not carbon steel. Buy two! I beat the crap out of them all year long. Nice grip. A monkey can sharpen them. Cheap!

2/04/2016 5:24 pm  #10

Both my husband and I carry Condor knives (http://www.condortk.com/productos-detalle.php?producto=89&cat=71). One is a small Kephart style and the other is a larger Bushcraft Basic (good for splitting kindling). My husband is pretty precious with his gear (these knives especially) so I can't say whether they'd take a true beating but they have served us well for a few seasons now and they sharpen nicely. 

We like them because they are functional and feel nice to use. My brother-in-law and husband used both knives to carve a mouse-sized canoe out of some nice wood at a campsite one afternoon. They even used some coals to burn out the middle. 

2/05/2016 10:31 am  #11

My main camp knife now is a Kellam. They can run up in price a bit but I think Kijiji is a great place to look. Tons of guys have too many knives and are always turning them over.

That's where I got this one..$50 . Aside from being a great knife  I like one with a bit of character. Curly Birch handle, with reindeer antler end and leather spacers. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/05/2016 11:08 am  #12

My Dad collected knives when he was younger and I would borrow his Puma Whitehunter for my adventures when I was a kid.  I've had two of my own since growing up (lost one) and it's my go-to knife for sentimental reasons. When weight and space is an issue, I use the smaller Puma Catamount II.  I'm not gentle on my equipment and these have held up well.

2/05/2016 11:18 am  #13

Wow Shawn ..you don't mess around.. beautiful knives..

Where did you lose that 3rd one? I might go looking for it.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/07/2016 7:47 pm  #14

Lol. It was actually two.  I lost my dad's in Sharon and my first one on the Whitestone River.

2/08/2016 11:13 am  #15

anyone have any experience / comments about Damascus blades?

2/08/2016 4:16 pm  #16

Damascus steel is very good and usually absolutely stunning. Most people I know that own one won't use it much because they like to preserve the look. Oh and they're usually quite pricey.

2/08/2016 5:53 pm  #17

Thanks ZS .. Yeah, I know they were pricey but would be willing to pay more for quality although it sounds like not the way to go for function and useability for what I'm looking for - thanks again

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.