You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2016 6:26 pm  #1

Kobo and Charger

I have a Sony ereader. It does not have wifi and I think I need to replace it as I am having issues downloading books. So I am thinking of a Kobo. We use a Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack. The battery pack would charge everything else (iPhone, inReach) but it would not charge the Sony eReader.

So I am looking for recommendations about which Kobo I should buy and if the Kobo can be charged by the Goal Zero battery pack. I just do not know if I should buy the cheapest model or if some of the added features of more expensive models are worth the money?

1/23/2016 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Kobo and Charger

Not much help on what model to purchase but I used a Kobo Mini for a couple of years and never had a problem charging it from my Goal Zero Guide 10 system. One thing I did learn with the Goal Zero is if it will not charge from the battery pack, plug it directly into the solar panel. For me charging anything Apple from the battery pack is a waste of time, but a few hours with direct sunlight plugged directly into the solar panel worked out.

1/23/2016 7:48 pm  #3

Hi Rob,

See if I am going to buy an eReader I want it to work withthe battery pack - my iPhone and inReach both work with the battery pack - so if it does not I may just give up on an ereader and use the phone - the ereaders have a much longer battery life so I was thinking it would be worth bringing IF I can recharge it with the battery pack.

1/24/2016 2:44 pm  #4

I managed to damage the screen in my pack on my Kobo last Spring but I am pretty sure it charged off the battery pack no problem and with the WiFi turned off the battery lasted forever. I could go through 2 to 4 decent novels in a 10 day trip and not need to charge it. The H2O looks interesting and waterproof/dustproof is never a bad idea.
One thing to note, without a back light and enjoying reading before bed I was charging the batteries on my heaflamp more often. 
I now use an old Android phone with the Kobo app, just wondering if you could use your IPhone. The battery life is pretty good in airplane mode 

1/24/2016 4:13 pm  #5

Hi Rob

The H2O does look interesting - just debating cost vs basic model - I took my ereader on a 23 day trip last year - so if I can get a Kobo that suits and recharges I think it would be better than the iPhone - but only if I can recharge it.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.