You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2016 8:39 pm  #1

Trip Reports and Cell Phones

For the past few years I've noticed more people using cell phones in the backcountry, even beyond cell tower range. They appear to be used as cameras, as MP3 music players, as map viewers and as ebook readers. Its that last use that's got my interest right now, specially since just a couple of months ago I have graduated from an old 'mini-brick' to a fully featured smart phone. Already I have PDF ebook novels and Photoshop magazines loaded on board.

The times I've used PDF format documents related to this website have been few and far between. There were a couple of times when trip-logs were submitted in Word-doc format and I was caught short for time. So, rather than take the time to HTML code them, I simply squared-up the grammar and layout, and put them through a PDF generator. They are at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/Chapman/Chapman2006.pdf and http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/AndyW/AndyW-2011.pdf . Another instance is the old online ABR LNT booklet .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/BackcountryOfAlgonquinParkLNT.pdf .

So now that smart phones are proliferating, even in the back country, I'm wondering if typical canoe trippers are looking to them as the means to also bring guidance and reference materials along with them .. such as maps and trip-logs. What purposes are you guys using them for beyond the cell towers' range?

I'm just learning some of the features of smart phone browsers. One I find particularly interesting is the mobile Firefox browser's ability to save web pages' as PDF's on your phone's SD card for future off-line reference. That would allow one to save all kinds of internet reference material for reference when one is beyond Cell Network and/or WIFI.

I had been thinking of adopting the PDF format for future trip-logs and PCI records, so people could carry them along on their smart phones beyond Network range. However, the ability to save any webpage in PDF format to a smart phone's SD card negates that need.

How familiar is the average canoe-tripping smart phone user with the process of saving web pages to their phone? As a new smart phone user, I'm unsure how common this use is. Any experiences with the process?

1/22/2016 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Trip Reports and Cell Phones

I use my iPhone in the backcountry as a camera, gps, notebook and Kindle ereader, but I haven't really thought of downloading or caching web pages or PDFs.  I do that on my iPad sometimes, but I have Acrobat installed so I can modify and sign documents while on the go.  Not on my phone.  Good idea though.

1/23/2016 5:15 am  #3

I have an app on my Samsung S5 called PDF Maps. You can download all of Jeff's maps within this neat little app and you can pin-point your exact location using GPS on the map. You don't need cell service for this to work with most phones as long as they have a built in GPS (I believe some phones use there actual cellular signal to pin-point location but some have an actual GPS built in). It is extremely handy when you are trying to locate a specific campsite or portage, or if you are wondering if you took a wrong turn down a meandering river. It truly is amazing how accurate Jeff's maps are, because every time I have used this app his map was accurate within a few metres. Other than that I may play music quietly from time to time if I get a bit lonely (always solo tripping).

1/23/2016 8:13 am  #4

Did you know you can use Google Maps including satellite imagery in offline mode. That is great in conjunction with Geotagged PDF Maps.

1/23/2016 9:21 am  #5

I have taken my phone in a couple times. I find that it distracts me though and I find myself curiously checking to see if i happen to have a signal. I now conciously leave it in the car and take a good old map and compass anxious to leave technology behind. Ran in to a solo guy one time who was lost. Knew what lakes he was heading to but batteries died on gps and didn't have a paper back up. He was 3 portage in the wrong direction from where he needed to be. We gave him our spare map and made sure he was heading in the right direction.Cidiots...LOL!

Last edited by Shayne74 (1/23/2016 9:43 am)

1/23/2016 9:48 am  #6

Yes - the main reason I take my phone into the backcountry is navigational. I have Jeff's maps downloaded on PDF Maps, and a federal topo maps app for when I'm in an area Jeff (or the Jennings) haven't mapped; both these apps have a GPS current location feature, which as MartinG and token say works whether or not you have cellular signal. Of course I take hard copy maps with me (can't count on battery, etc) but if the phone is working it's great to be able to punch the current location button and not have to wonder whether you're in one bay or the next.

I do use it as a camera, since it's so convenient to have the photos on my phone for purposes of sending/posting them after the trip. But I tend to take a conventional digital camera as well because the phone camera has only the one wide angle, too wide for wildlife most of the time.

I also have PDFs of the fishing regs downloaded on my phone.

I take a solar charger on trip, but since it's hard to count on having the time and sunshine to recharge, I try to use my phone sparingly and I don't use it for recreational reading or music.

1/24/2016 10:15 am  #7

I must be the only person in Canada that does not have a cellphone at all, so I'm only able to go the map and compass way, and have had to explain to more then 1set of canoers where they were. All of those people had cellphones but no maps. So Barry, don't change the way to post trip logs too much, but maybe add options, as otherwise I have no way to participate.

1/24/2016 11:54 am  #8

I do bring my phone in to the backcountry, but for only one purpose, to turn it off ;) To tell the time, I wear a watch. To navigate I still use a map and a compass. To tell what the weather is going to do, I use my watch and use the signs that nature provides. People seem to be way to reliant on cell phones these days and I for one get in to the backcountry to get away from technology.

1/24/2016 6:01 pm  #9

why?
  i do not own a cell phone, not interested in a cell phone. what did people do before cell phones? i seem to function fine without a cell phone,,,,twitch,, twitch.

Last edited by swedish pimple (1/24/2016 10:03 pm)

1/25/2016 10:49 am  #10

I bring my iphone in with me but nearly exclusively use it for a camera. It's better and smaller than my digital camera and I'm not interested in spending money on a camera when I have a good one on my phone. 

The first thing I do is set it on Airplane Mode (cannot send or receive signal) so even if there is a signal, I am cut off. 

I do have PDF maps with Jeff's Map on it and will occasionally turn it off airplane mode to take a peak at the map. But I prefer a traditional hand held paper map. 

2/02/2016 9:07 am  #11

I take it and turn it on airplane mode (no signal), only use it to read for recreation in the hammock and take pictures. Even with a battery backup, it's much lighter than a book and camera and I like to be as light as possible. But electronics fail, so I still bring a map and compass and use only that lest my skills get rusty.

2/03/2016 9:52 pm  #12

Count me among those who delight in not bringing cell phones into the back country.  Good old maps are my preference for navigation--you can fold them out to see the big picture.  And for reading, which I love to do while tripping, I like a good paperback that can get bashed around a bit with no concerns.  Just my preferences, though. 

7/03/2016 3:47 pm  #13

Has anyone used the gps watches? I am looking at the Suunto. I like that it can map where you are and you can upload to digital version and see altitudes, etc. I am looking at the Ramblr app that can track, use photos, etc to log your journey. But I agree, having it with me will be a bit distracting especially when I am trying to get away from it.

7/15/2016 9:28 am  #14

I am not one to use the cell phone on trips, I leave it in the car, I bring other digital camera's with me.  Personally, I am out there to be disconnected, and that is what I do.  I do use the Spot PLD for tracking purposes and because it gives my family a sense of safety, being able to call for assistance....  
A buddy I normally travel with however uses his phone as a camera and also pairs it with his In-Reach device to communicate with his family each night.  I find that he then gets distracted looking at his work emails as well, my feeling is if work can't do without me for 2 weeks they aren't paying me enough.  
As far as using a gps for location/navigating.  The gps devices are only good if charged and with you (as stated previously); we bushwacked to a lake this past spring only to realize the GPS device was on the PDF where we left the canoe.  I had my map so we were fine.
Regarding powering electronic devices out there: I do bring a LimeFuel aux battery, which will charge my go-pro - I have charged it 6 times with power to spare.

7/17/2016 11:43 am  #15

I think this is a very personal decision. I take an inReach on solos and text my other 1/2 at least twice a day - I don't find it takes away from the experience - we sometimes take the cell phone - I like it as a camera - I can see using it for reading. I think a lot of it has to do with how one uses it and how one defines getting away from it all.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.