You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2016 4:30 pm  #1

So I caught a fish...now what?

I'm planning a backcountry canoe trip with my son this summer, late July.  He's 10, and he's all over the idea of fishing.  That's great, except it has been 15 years since I was in the park, and even then, I hardly ever went fishing because it was something else to portage. I'd buy a license, then never pull the pole out for the whole trip.  That was my other usual mode of operation. But that won't be the case with my son.

So, I'm figuring on collapsible poles, we'd do some casting or trolling.  Small lures, things like Mepps spoons I guess. Makes no difference what we are fishing for, although I personally would find it pretty hilariously awesome to see him pull in a pike or something of substance, but hey, a six inch perch would make his day as well.

Really, the reason for the post is ok, we get our out-of-towner licenses, we bring legal tackle in, we catch a legal fish, and my boys wants it for dinner, which is awesome.  What I do not remember is how to dispose of the carcass.  The last thing I need is a big visitor ambling into camp smelling something and thinking that something would be my fishy hands in the tent or a carcass that I didn't dispose of legally or intelligently.  Can you please remind me?

We are debating between two access areas - Magnetawan and the Booth Lake area.  Any general suggestions are welcome beyond the how do I deal with a carcass question. 

Thanks so much for your time -

David

1/14/2016 5:01 pm  #2

Re: So I caught a fish...now what?

Out in the lake, away from shore but not so deep that it won't decompose.

I'm trying to find time to compile a list of lakes with abundant panfish, which is what you should target, or bass, so your son has good luck fishing.  Don't target trout or you're likely to be skunked.  Bass season is open then, so I strongly suggest the east end of the park, or the highway 60 corridor.  Booth area would fit the bill.

1/14/2016 5:49 pm  #3

I'll echo what My Self Reliance said. Remember that in much of the Algonquin interior, lake trout, brook trout and in some cases whitefish are what you've got for "big game" fish (ie other than panfish or suckers). And in July it's not that likely that you'll catch one of those coldwater species just casting with a collapsible rod, since they go deep when the water warms up. If you want your son to have a shot at something other than panfish, use Jeff's Map to see which lakes have big game species other than trout. (It doesn't cover panfish.)

The Booth Lake area (Tattler through to Shall) gives you pike and some bass. As MSR said, there are smallmouth bass along Highway 60 and in some cases a couple of portages in. If you want to try the west side, there are smallmouth bass in Rain Lake and some of the lakes just east and southeast of it, as well as in the North Tea/Manitou/Kioshkokwi area. As MSR says there are also smallies in the east end of the park, and there are even walleye and muskie in the part of the Petawawa out that way, but that's a longer drive for you. Anyway see the map for details. One thing the map doesn't show is there are largemouth bass in the York River area at the south end of the park.

Last edited by DanPM (1/15/2016 10:18 am)

1/18/2016 9:21 am  #4

Thanks very much for the responses - I appreciate that.  Wasn't able to connect over the weekend to look at any of this, so I apologize for such a delay in thanking you -

3/05/2016 10:43 am  #5

Bringing worms is always a good idea, almost a guarantee for small pan-fish, perch, I still use them when I get bored and you get a surprise from time to time. All fish love worms.

3/06/2016 9:29 pm  #6

but...Make sure to kill the worms before you leave the park. They are an invasive species.
http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/forest/invasive-earthworms/

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.