You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2016 11:00 am  #1

Barron Canyon TrIp - camp at achray or an interior lake?

Hey Guys looking for some input. We are planning a family trip to finally visit the Barron Canyon this summer. Looking at our options, wondering if we should basecamp at Achray, and do day trips from there, taking the car to the canyon trail and then the canoe to surrounding lakes ( like Carcajou), or should we camp at the end of Stratton or Opalescent etc and see the canyon from the river? Both approaches have their pluses and minuses. We have a couple more interior types trips planned for the summer so basecamping will be fine if that is a better option.

While this is more an exploring and sight seeing type trip, any general opinions related to best options/lakes for some fishing (for my son) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Moonman.

Last edited by Moonman (1/14/2016 11:01 am)

1/14/2016 11:58 am  #2

Re: Barron Canyon TrIp - camp at achray or an interior lake?

I'd point out that the Barron Canyon Trail is only 1.5 km long. So if you base camped in the interior (either on the river or close enough to paddle through the canyon as a day trip), you could easily hike the rim on your way in or out of the park. Worth getting the views from both top and bottom.

1/14/2016 12:12 pm  #3

Your options are more limited if you only have one vehicle as that precludes a one way interior trip starting at Achray and finishing at Squirrel Rapids.  It probably would be more convenient to base camp at Achray.  From there, you could do a day trip to the High Falls area in the NE corner of Stratton Lake, or a day trip to paddle the Barron River Canyon (starting at the Brigham Lake parking lot).

1/14/2016 1:08 pm  #4

If you want to base camp, still have access to your vehicle for hiking/other canoeing options I would seriously consider just camping on Grand Lake. There are plenty of awesome interior sites and a couple of them are within walking distance of the parking lot. The price will be reduced significantly compared to the campground and you have way more options. 

1/14/2016 1:38 pm  #5

Well, the price may or may not be reduced depending on how many people you are. But as you're well aware, campgrounds and interior camping are very different experiences that you'll have to pick your preference between.

For what it's worth, I paddled the Barron Canyon as a there-and-back day trip, no shuttle required. The current is negligible and canyon isn't so long that you need to go all the way from Brigham access point to Squirrel Rapids. If I recall correctly -- and this was a trip my dad planned years ago, so it's a bit hazy -- we base camped on maybe Carcajou Bay or thereabouts, and daytripped into the Spectacles etc, but did both the canyon paddle and the canyon hike as stops on the drive in and out. For a trip focused on the canyon, you could put in at the Brigham access point, base camp in that area and include paddling the canyon as a day trip while camped, and stop to do the trail on the drive out.

1/14/2016 2:14 pm  #6

Thanks guys for your great replies. Now I am even more undecided as all these options sound good! If we park at Brigham access that makes everything really close. Any sites/lakes that anyone would recommend? Its just three of us, me, my wife and a seven year old so we dont need a large site, but a pretty lake is always nice.

And Token, I also hear nice things about Carcajou and the spectacles, any sites around there your prefer? I would prefer to stay off Grand just due to motorboats but it seems like they might be able to get into carcajou?

Thanks!

Moonman.

1/14/2016 3:30 pm  #7

The area is a little awkard for base camping. You will want to see High Falls and the Canyon. Opalecent Lake probably puts you into the closest proximity for both 'attractions'. 

You will be able to see more of the area if you just car camp at Achray. ​Paddling from Achray to High Falls and back with kids would not be my first choice. It is a looong day paddle (~20k). You will invariably be heading back to Achray after a full day of fun in the sun while battling a head wind.

You can paddle Grand and check out the falls in Carcajou Bay. Maybe do a little loop through Berm and Johnston. Day trip to the Canyon by car. Take in the trail above. Park at Brigham Lake and paddle down to the canyon and come back. Park at the High Falls Trail head and hike 3 1/2k to High falls and back. The beaches at Achray are second to none and it is a very nice campground.

Last edited by MartinG (1/14/2016 3:34 pm)

1/14/2016 3:32 pm  #8

Motor boats are not an issue on Grand and yes they can get into Carcajou Bay. Grand Lake is huge, it goes nowhere and the fishing sucks. So not a huge amount of boat traffic.

1/14/2016 5:50 pm  #9

Moonman wrote:

Thanks guys for your great replies. Now I am even more undecided as all these options sound good! If we park at Brigham access that makes everything really close. Any sites/lakes that anyone would recommend? Its just three of us, me, my wife and a seven year old so we dont need a large site, but a pretty lake is always nice.

And Token, I also hear nice things about Carcajou and the spectacles, any sites around there your prefer? I would prefer to stay off Grand just due to motorboats but it seems like they might be able to get into carcajou?

Thanks!

Moonman.

Do you mean Carcajou Lake or Carcajou Bay on Grand Lake? You can indeed take a motor boat into Carcajou Bay but I wouldn't worry about it. Lower Spectacle Lake sounds nice but in all reality there is only 1 signed campsite that is not at all ideal.. there used to be a second site on the other side of the lake but the sign is down and there is no usable thunder-box. As stated above you do not need to worry about motor boats on Grand Lake what so ever, its actually probably my favourite lake with an access point to camp on.

At the Brigham access point there is a decent camp-site right at the portage from the parking lot.. the only problem with this site is you will get lots of traffic from people travelling down the river. This would be another option if you wanted access to your car to do more hikes or canoe other areas close by.

1/16/2016 9:35 pm  #10

Hey guys thanks agin for your thoughts. At this point I have at least narrowed it down to car camping at Achray or staying on opalescent. Either will work, I'm guessing, with pluses and minuses for each option.

Regards,

Moonman.

1/17/2016 8:30 am  #11

Moonman, I did this trip on the May long weekend 2015.   I base camped on  opalescent,  it worked out perfectly to see high falls area and the canyon.  We hiked the lookout trail on our way in so we could get the view from both the top and bottom of the canyon.  Short hike and well worth it.

Cheers
Ken

1/17/2016 9:30 am  #12

Hi ken thanks! Any sites on Opalescent you would recommend? Besides the one with the rock couch/seats, which I suppose would likely be taken by whoever is on the lake first....

Moonman.

Last edited by Moonman (1/17/2016 12:07 pm)

1/18/2016 9:41 pm  #13

Moonman, I actually had the same outlook as you do. However I was lucky enough to score that site .  The site directly beside the "rock couch" site looked nice from what I could see.  Perhaps someone on here may be able to offer better help then I can lol
Ken

1/20/2016 9:03 am  #14

Thanks Foxriderz, we plan on being in the water early so we will hopefully get a nice site. Thanks for your help.

Moonman.

1/20/2016 3:38 pm  #15

It's a fairly level walk over to Cork from Opalescent and both sites there have positive features. You'll also be on a very quiet lake with a good bass population.  Sure, it's an extra portage from all your planned activities but most of that travel on day trips will be very light.

1/20/2016 5:45 pm  #16

Moonman - I was on Opalescent lake as a base May 2015.  Weather was great except for wind on our first day.  The Barron Canyon is a nice paddle and doesn't take all that long to go there and back.  The trip to High Falls is a bit more involved, but doable (Opalescent->Ooze ->High Falls then trail).  The trail to the falls is fine to traverse if you (and your family) are big enough.  I would say if you have kids (as I do) take them if they are 8ish.  I would take my 8 year old, but not my 5 year old - terrain can be a bit rough.  The waterfall and associated pools are definitely worth checking out.  Bring a picnic - beautiful spot and the water slide is super fun.  The water was was awfully cold in May, but we went there on a very sunny warm day and the rocks warmed us up fast and we just couldn't see that beautifully smooth, gently sloped rock case without sliding down - it was only two of us and the snakes sunning themselves afterwards!

We had ZERO luck fishing Opalescent/Ooze/High Falls/Cork Lakes…it was disappointing….but that's how it goes…then again, I could be a TERRIBLE fisherman (more likely).  Nevertheless, I don't think this is an ideal fishing area if that's what you're looking for.

If the weather is wet I strongly encourage you to avoid the stone couch site.  The site is elevated in parts and any water accumulates and sits all around the fire pit area - an impressive one at that, but REALLY soupy when wet.  We checked this out before settling on Opalescent and there was no way you could enjoy the fire pit (and couch) without being constantly soaked I recommend the site closest to Cork.  The swimming is outstanding (even in early May!) and….if you walk into the woods a bit, there are two massive maple trees that blew down and the wood is super dry and nice for a fires.  This is actually two sites side by side although this doesn't show that way on some maps.

Another point of interest is that Opalescent has a good number or relatively recent blow downs on the camp sites that do impact them…not serious, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, certainly a trip worth taking - I was really pleased to have seen the canyon and the falls/water slide.

1/20/2016 8:05 pm  #17

I've camped on Opalescent twice.  The 4 sites (only 3 shown on the map) at the Cork end of the lake are quite good.  The southern most sites (only one on the map) are quite close together and seem to share a thunderbox.  So how much you enjoy these sites might depend on the neighbors.  The site to the west of these is the couch site.  Very large, but limited shelter for wind and rain.  The site across the lake from these is also good.  Only a smaller spot for a tent, but has a slightly submerged rock shelf which would be good for swimming.  Of the 4 sites at the north end of the lake, 2 are decent and the others are, I believe, below average but not horrible.  The site at the portage could get a lot of traffic.

Last summer I took my, then, 6 and 8 year olds from Opalescent to High Falls.  It's a good trip, but can make for a long day.  A few things to keep in mind:
- High Falls is covered in poison ivy.  It's everywhere.  Know what it looks like and wear long pants and proper shoes.  A few of the other portages in the area also have poison ivy, but not nearly as bad.
- There's a bit of climbing involved.  It's not a long hike, but it does take a while.  As you get close to the falls the trail becomes less defined as you start climbing over rocks.  Last year someone had marked the trail with rock piles, which made it much easier.
- We had a bit of bad luck with wasps which had nests in the ground, both at the falls and on the trail on the way back right where you need to climb up a 5 foot drop.
- My kids are good swimmers but we brought their life jackets to the falls anyway.  There's some good pools around the falls to float around in.
- Pack a lunch and plan on taking the day to make the trip.

Regards,
Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.