You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2016 12:31 pm  #1

Plans for 2016?

What are everyones plans for the 2016 season? 

I'm turning (gasp) 40 this year so will be doing a trip I have wanted to do since I first went that way as a teen. I'm taking 6 days to head up to Lake Superior P.P., camping on the beach and doing a bunch of hikes. Also, going to drive up to Neys and Pukaskwa for day trips. 

Algonquin I will be going up late August for a canoe trip, this time I will be bring my son, he will be 5 and loves campaign, but this will be his first canoe trip. Going to just do 2 nights and base camp either on Mag or Rain so he can get a feel for it with day trips to lakes close by. 

Also going to go up with the family for a car camping trip during the summer, thinking of Brent this time and doing my fall solo trip, I'll be keeping my eye on the colour report and planning to head up whenever it's near or at peak. 

Cheers,
Zen

1/08/2016 9:08 pm  #2

Re: Plans for 2016?

And so it begins.. Trip planning season.
Whitewater lessons, 8 day May Algonquin trip, maybe 6 day French River early June, two late season Algonquin trips, couple of crown land trips, etc.

1/09/2016 6:37 am  #3

My Self Reliance wrote:

And so it begins.. Trip planning season.
Whitewater lessons, 8 day May Algonquin trip, maybe 6 day French River early June, two late season Algonquin trips, couple of crown land trips, etc.

Have you decided on an Algonquin route for May yet? I have the week starting May 1st off and am still undecided where I will go. My brother might be able to tag along and if so we might do Killarney because he hasn't experienced it yet. If I go solo it will be in Algonquin because its still my favourite place to canoe.
As for my 2016 plans, that's basically it so far.. I base most of my trips on the weather forecast, if I see some super nice weather days coming I simply take the days off work and go. I leave the car packed all summer basically so I can leave whenever. I will definitely be spending 50+ nights in the park again for 2016.

1/09/2016 10:19 am  #4

I've laid out a few, but I'm almost settled on Magnetewan to Cedar and back, in a loop.  Right at ice out

1/09/2016 12:29 pm  #5

My Self Reliance wrote:

I've laid out a few, but I'm almost settled on Magnetewan to Cedar and back, in a loop. Right at ice out

I am interested in knowing your planned route..! That would be an amazing solo trip any way you do it.. how many days/nights? 

1/09/2016 6:09 pm  #6

I have 7 or 8 nights planned.  I'm still adjusting.  I may go all the way down the Petawawa to Radiant and loop back through the lakes and the Tim, or I may decide to finish the bottom part of the Nipissing that I bypassed last year and come back up the Pet.

1/09/2016 8:25 pm  #7

Hey Zen,
I was up at Pukaskwa last summer doing the Coastal Trail. If you are doing a day trip there, you could walk to the suspension bridge area over the White River at Cheegaamiwinigum and Hook Falls. Pretty awesome place to picnic. Would take the entire day dawn to dusk though. 
Lake Superior PP is really awesome, too. I'm planning a similar trip to yours for 2017 summer. Man, I miss the big lake!

1/10/2016 5:48 pm  #8

So far May. East side. Baron canyon and water slides. May 24 weekend. Late July.  Rain to Brent and back. September.  Base camp on little otterslide lake from canoe. 3 nights. Should be an interesting summer.

1/11/2016 8:14 am  #9

Spring will be a long weekend somewhere easy this year after back to back Greenleaf trips and uncertain schedules.
Planning an August 4 day trip to Big Crow with my little guy and my brother, lots to see and do, and hope to get him his first trout (son, not brother ha), no matter how many worms we have to dunk in the Crow River !!!  Never been out of Opeongo, so this may serve as a precursor to a Hogan/La Muir trip in years ahead . . .

1/15/2016 11:16 am  #10

I haven't done any serious canoeing since high school in the 80's, but I really want to try it again to open up new exploration opportunities - maybe this will be the year?
The last few years have included a lot of backcountry hiking excursions and I'm just starting to think about the 2016 season. One plan is for my wife and I to go to Tobermory, take the ferry to Manitoulin and then hang out there for a day or two before driving to Superior PP and doing the Coastal Trail. Has anyone here done the whole trail (LaLoche)? I'm curious as to how it compares to APP's Western Uplands, Killarney, or the Bruce near Tobermory in terms of challenge?
A trek through Frontenac is also on my radar, but I'm a bit concerned about not getting a real backcountry feel there, based on what I've heard(?)
An APP backcountry trip or two is a given, with consideration to hiking the upper 2 loops of the Western Uplands (via Rain Lake) with my good friend and/or wife. Solo may be in the cards as well... I like the fact that the northern part of this trail is less busy!
Cheers,
Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (1/15/2016 11:20 am)

1/24/2016 12:38 pm  #11

Methye, thanks for the info on Pukaskwa. If I get up there, I will attempt that hike but not sure about time though I have no issues hiking in the dark. If I get up to Neys as well, I really want to see the remains of the old p.o.w. camp I just can't wait to get up to Lake Superior, the last time I went was many years ago and I can't wait to bring the camera to capture its beauty.

1/25/2016 10:54 am  #12

I love hearing about people's plans. I think I love planning almost as much as the actual trip. 

I really want to get to Barron Canyon this year. It's a long drive for us (coming from Guelph) but I think I've convinced my partner that it's worth the hours in the car.

I've also been looking at Temagami for this summer (even more hours in the car!) to hike up Maple Mountain. 

Other than that, I'd love to do a mid-Sept trip again. I didn't get out that time last year (we went labour day instead) and definitely missed it. 

1/25/2016 9:23 pm  #13

Just booked a 3 night over May Long weekend today with the kids. Pretty simple putting in at access A36 just above whitefish Lake. One night just on whitefish as we will likely be arriving pretty late in the day. Then 2 nights on Clydgale and back out Monday morning. Will be a first interior trip for most of the kids. Hoping all goes well. Any insight on the area would be appreciated. Have seen a few vids and read a couple reports but anything additional would be cool.

1/25/2016 10:00 pm  #14

Shayne74 wrote:

Pretty simple putting in at access A36 just above whitefish Lake.

I don't think you can park at Whitefish Lake (A36) for an interior trip... you know that right?

1/25/2016 10:26 pm  #15

No. No I didn't.  Will change plans to A41 or Rock lake I guess. I booked as rock lake access but was planning to see if A36 was ok at registration. I guess not. Thanks for the heads up lol! Jeff's map states park bus access only.

1/25/2016 10:47 pm  #16

Yes. What Jeff calls A36 is the group campground at Whitefish Lake. ParkBus makes a stop there so that it can accommodate group (frontcountry) camping trips. Since that's the closest ParkBus stop to Rock Lake etc, Jeff marks it as a "ParkBus only" access point with the idea that bus-riding canoe trippers who want to go into that area can launch from the Whitefish campground and paddle to the Rock Lake permit office to get their permits and start their trip. But there isn't overnight parking there for canoe trippers. To be fair I don't know what would happen if you tried negotiating with the park about parking at Whitefish for a canoe trip... but since the permit office is down the road at Rock Lake anyway, it would be more convenient to start there.

1/26/2016 6:15 am  #17

Coming from the west side i have always been able to obtain permits for anywhere along the 60 Corridor from the west gate or canoe lake with a little convincing on the way in. Canoe lake office actually issued my permits for Gailairy access last August as we shad stopped there to drop a shuttle vehicle. Was handy as we werent going to make the East gate by closing. Figured we could save some time by doing this again and avoid having to drive all the way in to Rock Lake office. I guess not this time. Lol. Thanks again for the insight. Its what makes this site awesome.

Last edited by Shayne74 (1/26/2016 6:16 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.