You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2016 11:25 am  #1

solo canoe?

Anyone know of any solo boats for sale? Swift? Wenonah? Preferably used and upto $1500.

Last edited by Shayne74 (1/04/2016 11:26 am)

1/04/2016 6:16 pm  #2

Re: solo canoe?

Keep an eye on kijiji usually see them every now and then.

1/04/2016 6:58 pm  #3

One on there that peaks my interest but just putting it out there to see if anything else is available. Going to be a while until i can get to check this one out.   Would like kevlar if possible.  Would really like to pick up an older swift but open to other makes too.

1/04/2016 7:39 pm  #4

There is very little online right now - but I bet you'll find one on Kijji. Swift does sell some used too - more than Kijji but another option - what type of solo are you looking for? (Ie - what do you want out of the boat)

1/04/2016 8:04 pm  #5

Mostly day tripping around home but something  I could do a 3 to 4 day solo trip in as well. No white water. Just a nice tracking cruiser. I could settle for a 15 to 16 ft tandem I could solo. My current tandem  has bucket adjustable seats. Great for extended trips and mrx type events but not suitable for solo jaunts. Probably should have kept my algonquin lol. Weight not a priority but under 50 lbs would be nice.

1/04/2016 8:27 pm  #6

Do you want to paddle it with a canoe paddle or a kayak paddle?

1/04/2016 8:31 pm  #7

Canoe. Likely traditional paddle but I have been sorta hooked on my carbon racing paddles. Short so limited reach from a typical tandem width. May even be a stretch from a non race solo boat. Haven't paddle a traditional paddle for two years. Looking for to getting back to the purists perspective on paddling though .

Last edited by Shayne74 (1/04/2016 8:35 pm)

1/04/2016 8:40 pm  #8

Just to give you an idea Shane I've bought these solos used:

- Old Town Pack
- Swift Shearwater
- Esquif Nitro
- Swift Raven
- Esquif Spark
- Mad River (forget the name - very old beat up royalex solo)

Most were from kijji - there were a few others I looked at and eventually decided against buying - so I think your price range is very doable if you are willing to drive

1/04/2016 8:46 pm  #9

In terms of Swift boats - I'd say other than buying used from Swift that Shearwaters are probably the easiest to come across - Ospreys and Kees seem to be less frequently posted - I bought a Shearwater because I wanted a boat that could handle open water and substantive loads (me and my dog) but it might be too big for you depending on your packing style.

1/04/2016 8:49 pm  #10

An Algonquin or a Prospector could be a potential tandem that would work too.

1/04/2016 8:51 pm  #11

I have an unused anymore Swift Heron. Its from 1993. If I could emotionally tear myself apart from it it would be a fair price to ask $700 CDN. Its Kevlar/ fiberglass. Been  in a strainer once. We replaced the alu gunwales that got bent in the strainer with wood gunwales and epoxied the crease in the hull not attractively. Yet it had its accident in the late 1990's and has continued to be used as a tripper. It got heavy though. Its about 40 lbs.

It's fine with a sit and switch paddle like a Zav. You might want to lower the seat ( Ed's seat contour bucket)

Its a round bottomed hull and wicked fast and wicked unforgiving. 15 feet long 26 inches wide. Its not a racing boat though.. just performance tripping. It firms up nicely when loaded, which takes a little of its temperament out of the equation. Quite seaworthy. Does NOT have skid plates. Never put those on so its still quite fast.
It was my first solo.. The problem is I live in Maine.

[img][IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/littleredcanoe/Junior%20Lake%20ME%20Oct%203-7%202012/DSCF0651.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by kayamedic (1/04/2016 9:01 pm)

1/04/2016 8:52 pm  #12

The picture is from 2013 in Maine on a trip. I am not good at stowing straps. There were not many Herons made as the mold broke. Swift decided not to remake the mold. I suspect that many potential customers were left wet at the dock as  the  boat is a bit "hot". Its quite straight keeled but responds well to being heeled to the rail. You can sit in it but empty its best to kneel for stability.

I have switched to a 30 lb Colden WildFire. 

Last edited by kayamedic (1/04/2016 8:58 pm)

1/04/2016 9:01 pm  #13

Has me thinking. I like hot boats. A little twitchy is no problem. Have sent you a pm. Let's talk.

1/08/2016 7:16 pm  #14

Just up.

Swift Shearwater Solo Canoe For Sale $1500 on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/barrie/swift-shearwater-solo-canoe-for-sale-1500/1131217821

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/08/2016 10:30 pm  #15

Not a bad price.  Its lightweight ( 36 lbs) and is for bigger paddlers.I am short with short arms so I would wallow in the Shearwater. Your dimensions may differ so it might be a good boat for you.

The pics..well I hate skid plates because scratches in solo boats are often not at the ends. Nevertheless it does not seem to be an abused boat. It actually seems lightly used.

1/09/2016 11:59 am  #16

Its all relative - I'm 5'6" and paddle a Shearwater - it is a big solo but much narrower than a tandem - it is long and handles big water and big loads well - I use it on large bodies of water and on smaller bodies of water with a dog. Not for everyone but I really like my Shearwater

1/09/2016 1:49 pm  #17

Like Christine said, prospector maybe the way to go. I wanted a solo for a long time but after much thought and testing I opted for the prospector. Serves as multi purpose for me and is still easy enough to handle on solo trips without tiring me out. I opted for the 16 foot Swift Carbon fusion with carbon trim as well and it only weighs 34 lbs. Really impressed with it so far.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.