You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2016 8:49 pm  #1

Bow/ Seat/ Thwart Bags?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have one they use? I know CCS, Granite Gear, Frost River and Duluth make versions.

I am interested in getting a bag or bags for our canoe to store day stuff in that could stay in the canoe over portages. I wanted to get Ostrom Barrel Pouches but cannot find them anywhere.

Does anyone have experience with these types of bags? Does leaving them in the canoe on portages work or is it a pain/ cause issues with the balance of the boat?

1/01/2016 11:00 pm  #2

Re: Bow/ Seat/ Thwart Bags?

ChristineCanoes wrote:

Does anyone have experience with these types of bags? Does leaving them in the canoe on portages work or is it a pain/ cause issues with the balance of the boat?

Your mileage may vary but I have found leaving them in the canoe is a royal pain. They swing to and fro and drive me crazy on ports . I tried strapping under the seat for ports but that is also time consuming to move them from the thwart or bilge to the seat etc.. They also sometimes fall off the underside of the seat. Then I'm back to the swinging problem

Most recently I have an O.R. horizontal dry bag that I biner to the front of my pack straps on ports. Least annoying way for me to carry 2 bags and a canoe.

1/02/2016 9:29 am  #3

I have the Granite Gear thwart bag and I find it very convenient while on the water, but as Martin says, you need a quick solution for moving it from the thwart to somewhere that it won't swing while portaging. I strap it to my rear thwart by the two outer straps and the centre strap goes through the seat to keep it there will upside down.  If there is a short distance between portages, I just leave it there, moving it back to the thwart when I know I don't have any imminent portages to do.
Here is a video of a portage in action, and there are lots of videos (on my YouTube channel) of the thwart bag in position while paddling.

1/02/2016 10:08 am  #4

Okay that's what I was afraid of - kind of completely defeats the purpose of getting one. When we are in the boat a little dry bag works (which we already have and isn't 60$)  its just a pain to pack up at every portage - I was hoping this would address that issue.

The Ostrom barrel pack would fix the issue too as it is already attached to the barrel - so no on and off -  so I might have to find someone who can sew better than me and try to make a version.

1/03/2016 4:48 pm  #5

Just an FYI if anyone is looking for one of these bags - there is a Canadian company making them - more affordable - London Paddle Shop is carrying some of them - Parlee is the name of the company.

1/04/2016 10:24 am  #6

I have a seat bag and leave it in on portages. No problems with swing or coming loose.

I bought a cheaper one from Cabelas but have since realized that Scouttech carries the Granite Gear versions in Canada at very good prices. 

Canadian price is that same as the US $ price.

http://www.scouttech.com/granite-gear-stowaway-seat-packs/

I'm thinking about upgrading..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.