You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2015 12:07 am  #1

Brent Run.

Beginning to plan a Brent Run. Likely over a few days but would like to hear any advice from veteran  Brent Runners. Record attempts or casual. Have watched and read a few reports but always looking for more.   Got a new set of Jeff's from Santa so the itching has begun...

12/28/2015 7:49 am  #2

Re: Brent Run.

I would like to attempt this one day! There are a few good videos on YouTube you can check out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlVhCUYgtfY

12/29/2015 11:15 am  #3

We didn't do the Brent Run but I did paddle most of the route this summer - much of it as part of a 23 day trip and the rest as part of a 7 day solo with my dog. The only part I did not paddle was Lost Joe/ Little Joe - choose to go through Little Doe instead. Not sure if I have anything to offer, but if you had any specific (non speed related) questions I'm happy to share from my trips.

12/29/2015 11:53 am  #4

brent ,, straight south of catfish lake to hogan lake ,, is that considered part of the brent trip,, anyone have any insights about the portages. i understand water levels south of catfish could be a issue depending on the time of year? thanks

12/29/2015 1:35 pm  #5

If anyone is interested in doing this trip and needs a partner in 2016 let me know! I would love to try it and I have no other canoe partners that would be willing.

12/29/2015 1:48 pm  #6

Swedish - my understanding is no that is not considered part of the route

Token -what timeline are you thinking - when would you do it and how long would you take to do it?

12/29/2015 1:54 pm  #7

ChristineCanoes wrote:

Swedish - my understanding is no that is not considered part of the route

Token -what timeline are you thinking - when would you do it and how long would you take to do it?

I am available any time during the spring/summer/fall. I can take days off virtually whenever I want. I don't care how long it takes.. I love challenges so I would be willing to do it in 36 hours or less (I'm a very physically fit 26 year old). I would also be willing to take 2 or 3 nights to enjoy the whole trip. I have a 17ft. Swift Prospector in Kevlar fusion which I think would be a great canoe for the trip. ;)

Last edited by token (12/29/2015 1:54 pm)

12/29/2015 6:33 pm  #8

I've been considering it as well, probably solo, but I would be interested in paddling alongside a tandem.

12/29/2015 9:11 pm  #9

swedish pimple wrote:

brent ,, straight south of catfish lake to hogan lake ,, is that considered part of the brent trip,, anyone have any insights about the portages. i understand water levels south of catfish could be a issue depending on the time of year? thanks

Hey swedish I took that route last year doing a loop from cedar through hogan and back. Coming from hogan I recall the 3 portages to be fairly easy but having some good elevation changes. We traveled from hogan to catfish and did all 3 portages in the pouring rain the only difficulty we found was finding the channel from sunfish to catfish the water levels were fine but lots of weeds to fight through. This was the 3rd week of September it was a great trip we loved that part of the park

12/29/2015 9:44 pm  #10

A burg,,, thank you for the insights,,,

12/29/2015 10:37 pm  #11

swedish pimple wrote:

A burg,,, thank you for the insights,,,

Anytime Swedish just to add to the original topic we ran into a group from Europe doing the Brent run over the course of a week. We meet them halfway through the unicorn hill portage and in there opinion the stretch from catfish to cedar is the hardest part I will agree that it is a good haul but is really a nice stretch good luck to anybody attempting the run

12/30/2015 12:07 am  #12

We have potential group  of 4 looking to perhaps run it over 5 days in August. If anyone would like to take run at the money I would be game possibly in may or early June.  Have a wenonah escape in graphite. Light and fast. Have done mrx 2x and looking for another challenge. Fastest mrx was 19 hr 40 mins for 127kms. Sub 30 brent run is within reason I think weather depending. Just a thought. Other than the bugs, near to the summer solstice would  maximize daylight hours provided the weather  is clear.  Worth pondering if interested in a record attempt.

Last edited by Shayne74 (12/30/2015 12:11 am)

12/31/2015 4:55 am  #13

I think we should do a AA members trip sometime in 2016. Not necessarily the Brent run but a few day trip with only members on here could be allot of fun. 

Last edited by token (12/31/2015 4:55 am)

12/31/2015 9:50 am  #14

So there is no way I could do the Brent Run in 2-3 days - I spend too much time at my desk But if I am around I'd be open to some sort of trip - Token maybe start a thread with dates and parameters and see who is available?

12/31/2015 12:18 pm  #15

I don't want to sound like a 'party-pooper', but over time I've found it wise to put a nix on the forum being used to publically plan social events, particularly under the name of 'Algonquin Adventures' .. as per the Forum's Terms of Service's Expection 3) This forum is not a venue for "ongoing personal-chit-chat", for "chronicling daily activities" or for "extended and/or detailed planning of social events" and Rule 20. not use the name "Algonquin Adventures" in conjunction with unsanctioned group activities.

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/NewForumUse.htm

What I suggest is to make use of this forum's 'Private Message' feature to contact other readers directly and to thereby proceed with the arrangement of social events in private.

One can declare one's initial wish to invite participation in a social event on the forum, but ask those interested to make contact by Private Message. That will keep the detailed private planning details out of the public eye. And I ask that the naming of any such events be not specifically labelled as an "Algonquin Adventures" event.

Oviously the logistical planning of an upcoming canoe trip can be discussed on the forum under "Trip Planning". Likewise, its sharing "after-the-fact" can be featured on the forum under "Trip Reports". It's just the highly detailed personal planning that should be kept private.

Thanks.

1/05/2016 8:33 pm  #16

Potential 5 night brent run type trip. May put in from rain to avoid canoe lake traffic. Anyone interested pm me and we can exchange emails or fb names to plan from there. Leave from wherever makes sense for you and meet up where ever on route. Any interest let me know. Mid august?

1/16/2016 12:36 pm  #17

I'm interested in fit ess requirements for this. Anyone have any ideas on what it might take to be really ready? I told my wife about this and she said I have to do it. She won't lol but she wants me to do it with a good friend of mine.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.