You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2015 11:47 pm  #1

Winter trip - Dec 20-22 to Black Fox Lake

Hi all, 

We had a lovely winter-ish trip in Algonquin last week. As the trip date approached the temps remained at a balmy 10-12C the week before the trip, with no snow on the ground. We debated whether to take canoes or sleds. As we were driving up from London on Friday night (Dec 19th), there was a foot of snow dumped in narrow bands off the Georgian Bay, and we hoped some would land in Algonquin, but it was mainly hitting the QE2 Wildlands area. 

Some pics from the trip are below, I do have a detailed write-up on WinterTrekking:
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3792

Also, does anyone know what these tracks are (by guess is otter):

12/27/2015 12:37 am  #2

Re: Winter trip - Dec 20-22 to Black Fox Lake

Great report, Marko

Those steaks look huge. You guys must have worked up an appetite!

Dave

12/27/2015 11:00 am  #3

Great pics, sure nice to see the snow!  Love the glowing tent shot too.

12/27/2015 11:16 am  #4

Thanks guys.

@AT: The steaks were monsters, I didn't think we could eat them either... Yet they disappeared. Must say my buddy did a fine job too. Didn't even get a flare of gout either!

@Steve: thanks for the compliments! We didn't get that many great shots cause of the constant drizzle of snow/rain and the worry that the cameras will get wrecked. Any helpful hints appreciated!

Really hoping for nice cold February!

Cheers,
M

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (12/27/2015 11:18 am)

12/27/2015 1:55 pm  #5

Great report. Hoping to head to this same area Jan or Feb  also. Hoping for colder weather and snow. Did you happen to notice any dog sled camps set up? Supposed to be two tents near the black  fox creek junction and a camp at red fox lake.

12/28/2015 2:28 pm  #6

Hey Shayne,

Definitely did not see tents at Black Fox junction, and we camped by the end of the portage so we explored around quite a bit.

As for Red Fox, we made it to the portage, no camp up to that point. The logging road goes on further, likely the camp is there?

There is a couple cords of wood and two sleds waiting for winter at the beginning of the Black Fox portage (close to Hwy 60). Possible they didn't set up camps yet (seems late though even with the warm weather).

Lemme know what you find when you end up going.

Cheers,
Marko

12/28/2015 10:08 pm  #7

Yeah. Is late. I will check with the guys to see what's up. Sounds like winter is on its way with a vengeance.  Hope anyone affected by this storm stays safe. Thanks for the update Marko.

Last edited by Shayne74 (12/28/2015 10:09 pm)

1/02/2016 11:56 pm  #8

Looks like sleds instead of canoe was warranted :-)

1/04/2016 6:13 pm  #9

Tracks almost look like small bear to me. Thanks for the report and pics

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.