You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/25/2015 9:54 pm  #1

Mounting & Hanging Jeff's Wall Map

Wow, I got Jeff's full wall map of Algonquin for Christmas.  Looking it over, i had 3 thoughts:

Wow this is beautiful.
I'm going to mark all the places I've been to.
How the heck am i going to hang this?!

Its huge!
Any recommendations?   I can't be the first person to come to this problem.

12/26/2015 9:47 am  #2

Re: Mounting & Hanging Jeff's Wall Map

I used cork board tiles and contact cement. The tiles I got from Rona. They are thicker than the Cork rolls so they accept tacks better. Have to make sure they acclimate to the humidity of your house before glueing them to the wall. Helps to compensate for different rates of expansion and contraction. Every now and then one of the tiles pops of the wall and I have to glue it back on. No big deal. I love my map wall.

12/26/2015 10:00 am  #3

Hmmm. I don't think i can commit to glueing cork to the wall, but i could glue it to a light panneling, and screw that to the wall. You've certainly got me onto the idea though.  Thanks.

12/26/2015 10:08 am  #4

Good thinking Lesta. My wall is definitely toast! But it's the wall to the laundry room so I'm OK with it.

12/26/2015 6:26 pm  #5

Not sure where you are but any custom framing place could dry mount to a foam core board then you can hang it on the wall like a picture. Possibly Costco or Michaels could do it too but I prefer to avoid the box stores for this kind of thing.

12/26/2015 9:32 pm  #6

I was planning to get the hubby to make a frame. I figured plexiglass would be lighter and less costly for the size.

12/27/2015 12:25 pm  #7

I use cork squares like MartinG for my own copy.

A year or two back I asked around and some of the alternate solutions people had come up with included framing, using sticky tack, just taping it to the wall, mounting it on plywood and dry mounting it.

I believe dry mounting involves heat which might be an issue since the maps are printed on plastic. If you'd like to try that I'd happy to swap your plastic copy for a custom printed paper copy

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.