You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2015 4:40 pm  #1

"To Hot Tent or Not To Hot Tent...That is the question...."

So I'm heading up to the park in a week and a half for a supposed "winter" camping trip.  I'm looking at the forecast and it sure isn't looking like much of a winter trip.  They are calling for temps just above and just below freezing with a mix of rain and snow.  So I'm debating whether or not to bring my hot tent or my bomb-proof MEC winter tent (the Monandock).  I know I'll stay bone dry in the Monadnock but I'm leaning towards going with the hot tent.  I'd have to tarp the hot tent as it is an old canvas and is not totally waterproof.  But I think seeing as it's going to be cold and damp, it would be very nice to be able to dry off and have a nice fire in a tent.  Something about those right around freezing temperatures can really get you cold to the bone. I'm also going for 6 or 7 nights so who knows what the temps will be over the course of that week.  I'm thinking that having the extra space and stove is the way to go.

So what's your opinion for a trip like this; hot tent or cold tent?

12/03/2015 11:27 pm  #2

Re: "To Hot Tent or Not To Hot Tent...That is the question...."

what question??? Cold and wet sums it up. Somewhere nice and warm and dry, or somewhere cold and damp.
You could cold camp, but then again you could wear a hair shirt and live on granola too!!
With me, once I see the first flurry, out comes the hot tent, and it stays out 'til the flowers bloom!

12/04/2015 12:04 am  #3

Take the hot tent. Ya you might have to tarp over it but as scouter said above, somewhere warm and dry on a damp day will make the extra work more than worthwhile.

12/04/2015 9:47 am  #4

Hot tent for sure. Car camping thou? No snow to pull a sled on yet. I was camping 2 week-ends ago when they got the foot of snow. Hard to believe it's gone. I've learned over the years specially winter, you can't go by the weather man. They can't predict what it's gonna be after a day or so. I still have the screen shot on my phone from last year. On a Wed night for the week-end. Nothing colder than -5. Well the next night was -21, second -21 and last night -25. Pretty close ball park lmao. Stove comes in handy then!  

I'm just gone Fishin!

12/04/2015 9:47 am  #5

Long nights, short days, so a hot tent will make things more enjoyable with all that tent time in the dark. A good book and a radio... in the old days I could get AM skip from the states at night and get places like Lexington, Kentucky and Wheeling, West Virginia.... gospel music and preachers pounding the table about hellfire and eternal damnation, the end is near, repent and prepare for the end days are coming... very interesting lying there in the dark with the wind howling through the trees outside and this radio coming from another world. That was on AM 1170, but gone now, replaced with preprogrammed soft rock because it brings in more advertising $$$ I suppose.

12/04/2015 11:24 am  #6

THanks guys looks like I'll be doing the hot tent thing   Still not decided about back country vs car camping.  I called up to the park today and the winter protocol did in-fact kick in as of Dec 1.  I know it's a ton to lug in without a sled but I may still find a spot not very far from where I park and just do a bunch of trips with the gear.  I'm there for long enough that it would be worth the effort (and the cost savings!).  If I could find a spot a few hundred meters from where I park I'd have no problem carrying in my stove, etc (I could use the work out!)

12/04/2015 7:00 pm  #7

steve 
last december my son and I went a little up the western uplands trail
there was snow - but we went in about 10 minutes with a gear sled and setup camp off trail - worked really well 

if you head western uplands and camp a few hundred metres past the bridge off the trail - there,s the river for water, lots of free dead wood,  and still close to your car. 
just my suggestion - as you said in another post $12/ night is better than $50/night :-) 

12/05/2015 6:42 am  #8

If the winter protocol kicked in does that mean I wont be able to get a canoe trip permit for next weekend?

12/05/2015 8:19 am  #9

token wrote:

If the winter protocol kicked in does that mean I wont be able to get a canoe trip permit for next weekend?

It means you cannot camp at a signed campsite. You can still get a permit and access by whatever means you choose, you just cant camp on or near a summer campsite or portage. The actual wording is:

'Winter backcountry camping is not permitted on designated summer campsites, marked on the Canoe Routes Map or Backpacking Trails Map, or within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage. We recommend that you camp in low sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.'

See here: 
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

Last edited by Peek (12/05/2015 8:20 am)

12/05/2015 8:21 am  #10

Steve: Good call on choosing the hot tent, there is no way you'll regret it in December no matter what the forecast is.

12/05/2015 8:41 am  #11

Peek wrote:

token wrote:

It means you cannot camp at a signed campsite. You can still get a permit and access by whatever means you choose, you just cant camp on or near a summer campsite or portage. The actual wording is:

'Winter backcountry camping is not permitted on designated summer campsites, marked on the Canoe Routes Map or Backpacking Trails Map, or within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage. We recommend that you camp in low sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.'

See here: 
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

I thought you could use a designated campsite until the lakes are frozen/snow on the ground for some reason. I thought the reasoning behind the rule is because snow can make the firepit/tunderbox inaccessible?? 
Not that its a huge deal but I guess I wont be camping on Rose Island. Then again I guess that means I can potentially canoe in and camp on any lake I want, even if it doesn't have regualr sites.

Last edited by token (12/05/2015 8:44 am)

12/05/2015 10:03 am  #12

When I asked the lady at the Park she said the winter protocol depends on more than just snowfall.  She said they take a bunch of things into consideration when initiating the winter protocol (I just thought it was about the snow).  My uncle got iced in one year and he said it was brutal getting back out.  Not sure how frozen the lakes are (I check the webcams here for snowfall and ice in the area:  http://www.algonquin-sc.on.ca/webcam.html

12/05/2015 10:55 pm  #13

Can't wait to see some pic's !Amazing as always! I was hoping to get out before Christmas but the hot tent will have to wait till Jan! Happy trippin!

I'm just gone Fishin!

12/06/2015 4:04 pm  #14

So now they're calling for rain for the first three days I'm going to be there (although I never put too much weight into the forecasts).  I think what I may do is drape a tarp over the line leading from the top of the door to the hot tent outwards....kind of making an awning leading right out of my hot tent.  That way I can build an outdoor fire at the outer end of the tarp and still sit outside, or I can retreat into the hot tent and get the stove going...

12/06/2015 6:38 pm  #15

Have you decided between Mew Lake and interior yet?
This may be a very bad idea but have you considered putting wheels on the sled? Thinking something like a canoe cart at each end. With a piece of plywood cut to fit the bottom of the sled to give it some rigidity  and other than the problem of getting them square so it tracks straight in theory it should work. 

12/06/2015 6:40 pm  #16

Rob it's funny you should mention that, I did give that some thought!  I think I'm going for the interior.  I wont be too far from the truck so I may just put the lighter stuff on a sled and give that a shot as-is.  I had to do that a couple years back when all the snow melted on us while on staying in the Air Field at Mew Lake.  Surprisingly the sled pulled ok over the snow-less ground!  If I had a bit more time I might try something like your suggestion though

12/06/2015 9:48 pm  #17

Hey Steve! Although that sounds like a cool idea, with that much rain in the forecast that might pose a problem. The run off will be aimed/funneling right back into your door way. Could create mud soup!

I'm just gone Fishin!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.