You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2015 1:49 am  #1

One last overnighter?

I want to do one last overnight canoe trip this coming Friday night. I am wondering what the ice status is currently? I want to head into an easy access canoe in campsite (Rock Lake, Sec Lake, Tanamakoon Lake, Crotch Lake, etc..) Its looking like the lows will be below 0 all week except for Thurs/Fri nights. I don't want to drive all the way there only to be iced in. If worst comes to worst I'll head for Killarney because the temperatures are generally warmer there and I know all the lakes are still open as of right now and they are issuing permits still. 

11/29/2015 3:05 pm  #2

Re: One last overnighter?

I was in the park today, most of the small ponds are completely frozen over, Lake of Two Rivers was ice free, Brewer Lake had some ice at the south end.

11/29/2015 3:45 pm  #3

It's looking fairly far fetched at this point for the weekend isn't it? I honestly think Killarney unfortunately may be my best bet.

11/29/2015 4:03 pm  #4

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-29_metric_e.html

-9c tonight and tomorrow night and below zero all week, even though they are calling for warmer weather next weekend it would be risky to try a canoe trip this week.

11/29/2015 4:34 pm  #5

Rivers... Petawawa, Oxtongue, should freeze later than lakes since the river current will mix cold surface water with slightly warmer water deeper down. In lakes the coldest water stays on the surface unless there is a wind to mix it up.

PS... being frozen out and returning to the car isn't so bad... being frozen in after a cold night freezes the lake solid, that's bad news. Having an escape route like a logging road or a hiking trail nearby might be an idea.

Last edited by frozentripper (11/29/2015 4:39 pm)

11/29/2015 7:33 pm  #6

If it was me I would park at the Oxtongue R. To Park Lake portage where it crosses 60 just  west of West gate. Paddle down stream and camp at cedar rap or high (gravel ) falls site. Cool site and free. Double check regarding parking but should be ok.I believe its a snow plow turn around durring the winter months. If you go this route I would mark the channel from the main river to the portage to help find it on the way back. Oxtongue should have little threat of icing up over a couple nights. The paddle is pretty simple and not too far. Simple Bushwack out to highway if necessary. If Algonquin is more easily accessible than Killarney I would definitely consider this option  and save the drive. Actually a little bit jealous. Would join you if closer myself .LOL!

Last edited by Shayne74 (11/29/2015 7:37 pm)

11/29/2015 9:10 pm  #7

Hey Shayne74 what are those campsites like on the Oxtongue?  I've never paddled that way before but sounds like a neat spot!

11/29/2015 9:55 pm  #8

Typical of low maintenance  sites within the park. I think they may get some local use and have seen some refuse and the odd beer can but otherwise pretty decent IMO. Didn't notice the cedar raps one last time through but passed through gravel falls site in august and stayed there in 97. Was pretty cool spot then and looked pretty decent still in august. Petty neat right along side of large water fall. Worth the trip. Its along the portage around the falls.

11/29/2015 10:49 pm  #9

Thanks for the info!

One thing to keep in mind is that apparently as of Dec 1 the winter protocol kicks in, which means no camping on summer designated campsites.  Not sure how strictly they enforce that in the shoulder season.  I know they are calling for some milder temps this week but according to an email I received last week from the Park, winter rules kick in Dec 1.

11/30/2015 12:14 pm  #10

Any place I can find recent satellite images of the park?

11/30/2015 12:54 pm  #11

token wrote:

Any place I can find recent satellite images of the park?

Here is Great Lakes basin in satellite images, updated twice daily. This is where the park staff get their ice-out images from, handy site to visit now and then. Pick the thumbnail with the least cloud cover, click and then navigate to where you want to see. Unfortunately you can not zoom in but it is easy to pick out the larger lakes:

coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1

You will need to cut and paste the link, I am still not allowed to post links.

11/30/2015 2:21 pm  #12

Here's a zoomable/scrollable MODIS map: 

http://go.nasa.gov/1LJ9Dal

As of today, the lakes are ice-covered at the northern edge of Lake Superior... Come on ice-in!

Marko

12/05/2015 6:34 am  #13

Well I decided to not go ahead with my trip.. BUT.. The lows for all of next week are above 0.. EVERYDAY! That means there will definitely be no ice next weekend and the highs are between 5-7 degrees with lows around 3-4? I am going to take Friday off work and head for the park Thursday afternoon and stay until Saturday afternoon. Will probably head to Rock Lake!

12/08/2015 2:17 pm  #14

I was talking to the parks Information Line this morning and the lady told me its not possible to get a permit for canoe in camping and the only way I can camp in the interior is to use a backpacking trail..

12/08/2015 2:30 pm  #15

Hey Token just to clarify, I believe you can camp anywhere in the back-country and access it any way (not just via a backpacking trail) once the winter protocol is in effect.  Did she mean you just cant access the interior via canoe?

12/17/2015 6:50 am  #16

well,, how did it go? anythang cool happen??

12/19/2015 4:45 am  #17

Nope nothing too interesting. Stayed at Mew Lake and I only went out in the canoe once because it was too windy to venture off to any bigger lakes. I did do a fair bit of hiking though and snapped some decent pics.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.