You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2015 4:24 pm  #1

Loss of PFD Bouyancy Over Time

One afternoon this past summer, I had occasion to use my PFD to just lazily float around for over an hour. I realized that after a while I wasn't floating as high in the water. Upon leaving the water, I found the jacket was somewhat heavy and was dripping a fair amount of water. At the time I tried to recollect if that was typical. It took hours for the PFD to dry out. But I forgot to pursue the issue until now.

Over on Transport Canada's Lifejacket and PFD webpage it states .. "Check its buoyancy regularly in a pool or by wading out to waist-deep water and bending your knees to see how well you float." However, various sources say things like "We recommend approximately 300 days on the water, or 5 years; whichever comes first." .. "The maximum lifespan of a foam-filled lifejacket or buoyancy aid for leisure boating is ten years." .. "Look for signs of mildew, waterlogging (the absorption of water), shrinkage or severe fading. If detected, replace your PFD." .. "A PFD should last anywhere from 4-10 years depending on how frequently it is used and in what environmental elements, how well it is taken care of and cleaned, and how durable the materials are that were used to create it.".

So since I acquired my PFD back in the spring of 2008 (eight summers ago), I'm thinking it's time for me to get a replacement. And off the top, I'm suspecting the garage isn't a good storage place, given its extremes of temperatures.

Please share your experiences and suggestions as to how to best care for and store a PFD.

11/28/2015 9:23 am  #2

Re: Loss of PFD Bouyancy Over Time

The advice online seems to suggest that high temps are bad for PFD flotation over time, so storage in a cool and dry spot (basement?) would be preferable to a garage..

11/28/2015 10:01 am  #3

Well, this is something we haven't done in a long time.

Bought my pfd a long time ago, at the Bracebridge Paddlefest.  Hubby's is even older.

And we've been bad about taking care of them, or cleaning them.  The pfd's do stay in the house. 

I do believe it is time for new ones for both of us.  (New question: how to dispose of the old ones?)

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

12/31/2015 3:26 pm  #4

I definately notice the bouancy issue over time. When I paddled more whitewater I took such good care of my PFD but on flatwater trips it is so tempting to do things that are not good for it (like sit on it).

I store mine inside in a non compressed state (ie not at the bottom of a pile of gear). I think most paddlers keep a PFD for too long. In my experience by the time it starts to fade, it is long past its prime.

Barbara's question is a good one because you don't want someone re-using a dead PFD. I have a few I should probably get rid of. Any suggestions?

I just bought a new one for whitewater - I have been looking for a rescue PFD on sale forever - now I need to test my old one and see if its good enough for flatwater or if I should buy a new flatwater PFD. It probably needs replacement.

Interested to hear others experiences.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.