You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2015 9:42 am  #1

Questions for planning a spring fishing trip

Hey everyone,

I know its early but I'm starting to look at planning an early spring backcountry fishing trip! While I don't expect anyone to give me their favourite brook trout fishing spot (But feel free to do so anyway ) I did still want to ask a couple questions. I know there are no guarantees, but when is the ice generally out in Algonquin? Are there any areas or routes to avoid in early spring? Is it better to base camp and go on day trips for a trip that time of year?

Any general tips about early spring camping would be appreciated!

11/25/2015 9:57 am  #2

Re: Questions for planning a spring fishing trip

Typically the last week in April to the first week in May the ice goes out.  All depends on the weather through April.  I tend to base camp and fish lakes in the surrounding area. I've found certain areas are busier than other.  Last year I was on Big Crow and for the weekend both Big Crow and Little Crow were fully booked but didn't see anyone on Hogan.   A few years ago I went into McKaskill and over five days only saw one party pass through McKaskill and saw no one on any of the other lakes we fished but on the way out Ryan was busy.  Your solitude will depend on how many and how difficult the portages you put between yourself and the access point.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

11/25/2015 10:12 am  #3

Hi Gordielocks,

For ice out history, see http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php (it says it was updated today but really the announcement is from May 4). As you can see the average ice-out date is April 23, but it's been later than that the last two years, with full backcountry closures for the last few days before ice out due to flooded roads/campsites and unsafe conditions. As you probably know, fishing season doesn't open in the park until April 30 regardless of canoeing conditions. If you booked a trip starting about a week into May I think you'd be reasonably safe. If you booked a trip for the very start of May you'd run the risk of having to delay it last minute.

Areas or routes to avoid in early spring... not really; spring sort of offers the most choice of passable routes, since some rivers have low water issues later in the summer. I like to avoid camping on lakes with motorboats and cottage or commercial leases, but that's a year-round thing. One potential concern is that some of the more rugged access roads might be a little tough right after the snow melts. If you're using a 2wd and want to head to an access point without a paved road, maybe ask on the forum for people's early spring experiences on that particular road. Also if your timing is going to be really hit-or-miss for ice out, keep in mind that lakes farther south may thaw before those in the north end of the park.

Aside from that I guess you'll want to avoid areas without trout, of course. Jeff's map ( http://www.algonquinmap.com/ ) shows the species in each lake. As a general rule (with a few exceptions), lakes with smallmouth bass will have few if any brook trout. And since smallmouth bass aren't in season until late June I prefer to avoid the lakes they dominate in the spring if I'm fishing. You can see the aggregated backcountry trout fishing survey results from 2009 to 2012 at http://algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/fishing-in-algonquin-park.php#fish_survey to get a sense of some of the better waters, but it's data volunteered from anglers of various abilities so take it for what it's worth.

Base camping vs route tripping... I dunno, I've done both types of trip in the spring. No real reason to avoid one or the other. Base camping has the advantage of leaving lots of time to fish, and giving you enough time on one lake to really figure out the spots and tactics; also lets you hunker down for the day if the weather flips back to winter. Route tripping has the advantage of getting you deeper into the interior (with the possibility of accessing more remote, less fished lakes), and passing through the major stream corridors that sometimes have the best brookie holes.

Last edited by DanPM (11/25/2015 11:06 am)

11/25/2015 10:29 am  #4

Great tips guys, thanks for responding. Obviously my preference as well is to get as deep as possible. All about that balance between travel time and fishing time! I really have no desire to be on access lakes day tripping from there, so it looks like doing a deep there and back again or loop is my best option. I've looked at doing a McKaskill trip in the past, may look in to it again. Always wanted to do the Nippissing river as well so I may look in to that. Now I'm getting distracted!

Thanks again for your help

11/25/2015 10:46 am  #5

The one time I've been down the Nipissing River from the Big Bob portage to Loontail Creek, it was so choked with alders it was hard to believe I was on a mapped canoe route. See pic below. Maybe it's different now, or maybe you want to brave those almost-impenetrable walls of bush to get at the brook trout they jealously guard (I assume; I wasn't fishing on that trip). But if it was me, after that experience, if I wanted to do a Nipissing River trip starting from access point 2, I would go down the Tim River to Rosebary Lake and then take Latour and Loontail Creeks to the Nip from there.

11/25/2015 11:06 am  #6

Wow! Great advice, thanks for sharing. How long ago was that? Maybe it's been cleared by now. I'd love to do a Tim lake to Rosebary to Loontail then west on the nip and back out. Here is a very specific question, does anyone know if the Chibiabos Creek to Indian Pipe lake is passable? That way you could cut off the Big Bob to nip portage.

11/25/2015 11:11 am  #7

Oh! Sorry I misunderstood, that picture is on the nippissing river between big bob and loontail, my mistake!

11/25/2015 11:18 am  #8

It was a while ago granted, I think 2009. Maybe someone with more recent experience can comment. The Tim to Rosebary is never much of a problem other than beaver dams, can be slow going in low water season but would be nice in May. And yes the pic was taken downstream of the mouth of Chibiabos Creek, so that wouldn't avoid it. I haven't explored Chibiabos Creek but I would imagine that if it were passable it would be a popular route, since a lot of the traffic heading north from Indian Pipe is ultimately going that way. There's nothing wrong with the Big Bob portage itself, other than the fact that if you were approaching from the Nip it would be almost impossible to see (unless they've put up a new sign).

11/25/2015 12:55 pm  #9

Do you think travelling from access 2 to the Hiah Campsite (Where Nippissing meets Loontail) via Big Bob is doable in one day? I've read of people making it to the highview cabin in a day so I would think this is possible but would like to hear your two cents.

11/25/2015 1:13 pm  #10

Yes I think that's doable if you have a whole day. You'll note the travel times on Jeff's map come to about 6 hours from access point 2 to the mouth of Loontail Creek via Rosebary, assuming single carry portages. Leave some flex time though, it's hard to predict how much the beaver dams will slow you down on the Tim.

11/25/2015 3:45 pm  #11

Should I post the link to my YouTube video from this spring?

11/25/2015 4:04 pm  #12

Checked out your channel and found this video I assume this is the one? Looks like a great trip! Lots of fish! Thanks for making that. What was your trip exactly? I'm curious where that first nights campsite was.

11/25/2015 4:53 pm  #13

Tim Access to Highview is doable in a long day. It would be quicker to got through Rosebary than Big Bob. Tim Access to High Dam through Rosebary is about 6 hours single carrying. The port from Floating heart to Loontail creek is a bitch.

I doesn't much matter if the Alder on the Nip down stream of Chiababos creek has been cut. It grows up like that every year. Early Spring it won't be any trouble. 

11/25/2015 5:21 pm  #14

I'm thinking of doing a loop this spring. Enter at Tim, go to big bob, take the Nip to loontail, then down to Rosebary then back to Tim and out. I'm thinking of spending a couple nights at the site at Nip/loontail/hiah lake. Anyone have any thoughts on this site or route? I'd really like to be able to spend multiple nights in one place, usually I move camp every night and that can get a little tiring. 

11/25/2015 5:21 pm  #15

First night was High Dam, just north of the Hiah Lake site. Easily made it there in one day as Martin said.  Also as he said, the one portage almost broke my leg, as seen in the video.
I have to say it here, I enjoy writing trip reports and making the videos and I find other people's videos informative and entertaining while planning trips.  However, I struggle with exposing sensitive areas to increased pressure.  So, please, please practice Leave no Trace principles and mainly catch and release fishing.  A few small fish for an occasional meal I strongly encourage, but these rivers and lakes are sensitive.

I read a trip report earlier this year about a group of guys catching and keeping more than a dozen fish from one pool on a river near Cedar Lake I think it was.  They returned the next day to slaughter the rest of the fish and couldn't understand why the fishing was less productive - like he didn't understand fish populations have a sustainability limit, not infinite.

11/25/2015 5:29 pm  #16

Couldn't agree more. I only keep a couple max during each trip. Just enough to add a complement a meal if I'm lucky. Thanks for sharing the video and the details of the trip!

11/25/2015 5:35 pm  #17

That campsite is so-so - not very picturesque.  Not sure I would spend two nights there.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.