You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2015 12:31 pm  #1

snow shoes for snow shoes

any suggestions for boots to wear while out snow shoeing? i understand that the smaller the heel (or no heel) is best? perhaps a mukluks style with a robust sole? thanks
   some scouter friends make the snow shoe harness from tire inner tubes. better then the leather. 

11/21/2015 4:13 pm  #2

Re: snow shoes for snow shoes

would think it depends on the type of snowshoes. mine are an aluminum pair that has a heel strap (woven piece like on a backpack) you can pull tight and release with a buckle. Never have a probem releasing, even in very cold weather and deep snow. buckles have never broken (knock on wood) I wear my keen high top hiking boots (waterproof) and love it. In very deep snow I will add an elastic around my snowpants at the top of my boots, keeps snow from creeping up my leg.
No slipping with my shoes inside the snowshoes either, no problems at all. I do not use trails very often, prefer the bush and its challenges, but do carry 2 poles for stability.
hope it helps

11/21/2015 6:39 pm  #3

i just bought 2 pairs of perfect wooden snowshoes with leather bindings for 100 bucks,,, otter paw style and the other much more narrow,, more suitable for my short legs,, i believe they are huron snow shoes

Last edited by swedish pimple (11/23/2015 9:53 pm)

11/23/2015 9:52 pm  #4

picked up lined vintage " bastien sibeiran  husky"  mukluks with rubber soles,, the real deal. also canadian military mukluks today. as well as canadian military mits..  sarge`s army surplus in peterborough is closing, great deals to be had.
                        thanks for all of the mukluk insights     

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.