You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2015 10:20 am  #1

Sediment in Coleman Stove Tank

I have a 2 burner white gas Coleman stove that is bout 15 years old.  It hasn't been working great the past couple of years and I went to start it up last night and it's not working.  Gas is coming out (I can hear and smell it) but the flame wont light, or stay lit for any period of time.  The burners are looking pretty rusty but last year I used a venturi brush and gave the pipes a good cleaning.  The gas tank sounds like it has particles in it and when I shine a flashlight inside it looks like blackish sludgy stuff.  In all honesty the gas that is in there may be years old as I went through a few years where I didn't use that stove.  Is it time for a new stove or is this salvageable?

11/18/2015 11:27 am  #2

Re: Sediment in Coleman Stove Tank

Have a look here, Steve.
Great resource for anything related to colemen stoves.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/
-------------------
This is another great site for stove junkies.

http://classiccampstoves.com/

Dave

11/18/2015 3:19 pm  #3

Sounds like your gas went bad. You can try flushing it with fresh fuel. and cleaning the generator- remove the generator, remove the needle, blow out the generator body, and wipe the needle with steel wool, but don't bend the cleaning wire, reassemble.
If this doesn't work, pull the valve assy. and clean it with carb cleaner, Throw a handful of BBs or steel shot in the tank, shake the crap out of it to break up the varnish (the black or brown gunky stuff) dump it out and flush well with new fuel, and reassemble( use gasket cement on the valve threads).
Check the manifold for spider webs or wasp nests too; they can cause the vapour to condense out and flood the stove.

11/18/2015 8:33 pm  #4

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to spend some time seeing if I can bring this thing back to life!

11/19/2015 8:09 am  #5

wrong thread, oops

Last edited by Barbara (11/19/2015 3:53 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.