You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2015 7:02 am  #1

atuk 10

just ordered a atuk 10 hot tent.  i should have the tent in two weeks. guy hebert told me he is working seven days a week to keep up with the orders. 
  now to use a wood stove or propane set up for heat? not sure? i need to talk to hank hill from strickland propane and propane accessories for his insights. i like the even flow of heat from a propane ceramic heaters.
  any tent heating insights? 

11/12/2015 7:55 am  #2

Re: atuk 10

Hey SP, congrats!! Guy is a really nice guy. I have the 12x12, it sleeps 3 comfortably and 4-5 in a pinch (gear needs to be outside in that case). 

RE: winter camping resources - wintertrekking.com has a great guide, and their forums have lots of knowledgeable and friendly people. 

RE: propane heaters - the concern is CO poisoning. There are some heaters that have automatic shut-off when CO levels rise, but I'm not so sure this is foolproof. Speaking of wintertrekking.com, their official position is: 

"It is the Official position of Wintertrekking.com, and the owners of Wintertrekking.com that it is NEVER safe to run a propane heater that exhausts into an enclosed camping tent or snow structure.  Wintertrekking.com advises people to NEVER operate a propane appliance or device for heating purposes that exhausts inside an enclosed tent or snow structure for heating purposes.  The owners of Wintertrekking.com are not aware of any design of any propane heating appliance or device, or any installation configuration of such appliances or devices, that is safe to use or operate inside a tent or snow structure.  The owners of Wintertrekking.com strongly advise against the use of any propane heating appliance of any design or configuration inside a tent or snow structure." 

I would recommend a wood stove. Atuk also sells Kni-Co, as does Canadian Outdoor Equipment. I have the Alaskan, they fit on a sled and are about 20 lbs. If I had a lot of money, I'd go with the titanium stove from Four Dogs. Looks pretty sweet... ... ... 

Cheers,
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (11/12/2015 7:55 am)

11/12/2015 10:54 am  #3

thanks for the insights,, great food for thought

11/12/2015 12:31 pm  #4

John that stove looks like a great deal. I have actually been thinking about cutting pot holes in my Kni-co, would cost about $45 for the snips and sheet metal. At that price, I may pick one up.

What's the weight, and how long are the burn times?

Cheers,
Marko

11/12/2015 6:16 pm  #5

Thanks John.

Sounds very similar to the Kni-co, but with pot holes (about the same price if you include the pipe). I get a burn time of about 4hours from the Kni Co Alaskan.

Can you adjust the air intake, or is the burn just modified by the baffle on the outflow pipe?

Sounds like a pretty good deal, as I find it hard to get a rolling boil without the potholes...

M

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.