You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2019 2:32 pm  #1

4 Day Trip - Access Point 3 - May 2017

Afternoon All,

As the temperature in Southern Ontario rises so does my desire to return to the Park. We have planned our Spring  4 day loop for this year out of Kiosk Lake to the Birchcliffe Cabin and back. When planning I always watch as many videos as I can find on You Tube of the area, and of the Park in general, so thanks to everyone for their hard work!

That being said, here are the links to an awesome trip we took back in May 2017 from Access 3 on a pretty decent sized loop through Big Trout. This trip, though large, offers lots of little lakes, big lakes, river travel and almost every type of portage you can think of. The highlights for me on this trip were Misty Lake (soft spot in my heart for this lake), Grassy Bay, seeing Burnt Island Lake for the first time, and Ink Creek.

Trip Videos:
Day 1: Access #3 to Grassy Bay https://youtu.be/fprwo1Bz-TA
Day 2: Grassy Bay to Burnt Island Lake https://youtu.be/-oYaPQxH1GA
Day 3: Burnt Island Lake to Misty Lake https://youtu.be/XzwSoWNRvVY
Day 4: Misty Lake to Access #3 https://youtu.be/rrMzHzcZMIU

Enjoy!

3/19/2019 3:31 pm  #2

Re: 4 Day Trip - Access Point 3 - May 2017

You guys were putting on some mileage.That's taking the long way to Burnt Island, but a beautiful route for sure. Algonquin's too gorgeous to film in 480p though - next trip up the resolution!

3/19/2019 3:36 pm  #3

Funny you mention that. We have purchased some new go pros and DSLR this spring to hopefully up the quality for future videos! 

3/24/2019 6:11 pm  #4

Enjoyed watching your videos.  Thanks for posting!

On your next trip, do not go up Birchcliffe Creek unless you like spiders, plenty of alders, no room to canoe, pushing and a lot of pulling your canoe, beaver dams.  You are welcome!

Last edited by boknows (3/24/2019 6:16 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/25/2019 10:36 am  #5

Bo,

Is it any worse than the Nipissing between Big Bob and Grass Lake by chance? We have the cabin booked and need to get out of dodge fairly quick on day 3... so Birchcliffe Creek was on the menu... 

3/25/2019 11:52 am  #6

YES.....IMHO it is a hell of a lot worse.  I did Birchcliffe Creek many years ago in the spring and told myself I would never do it again.  I have two friends who did it two years ago in August.  They told me it hadn't improved at all and it took them 6 hrs to complete the creek.  Like I said in my previous post, lots and lots of obstacles  stand in your way.  Perhaps even walking in mud up over your knees and not going anywhere.

I don't know if you know Jake at the Brent Store on Cedar Lake.  He gets tons of information from fishermen re their trips in this area.  The last time I spoke with Jake was in 2017 and he said that Birchcliffe Creek would give you a challenge as well as a long and tiring day.

Perhaps others on this site have been there last year.  But honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't go anywhere near that creek.

3/25/2019 11:58 am  #7

anyone been up Loughrin Creek recently? Not ideal... but we could likely manage the loop change in light of recent disclosure...

3/26/2019 10:58 am  #8

Evan,

I have finally found the video of my two friends going up Birchcliffe Creek and travelling all the way to Loughrin Creek.  Go on you tube and check out blogger by name of Burley Outdoors.  Then click on his video called "Algonquin Park 8 Day Canoe Trip".  The trip up Birchcliffe Creek (he calls it a river) starts at the 33 minute mark and takes you up to the start of Loughrin Creek.  After viewing this video, you might want to change your destination as I don't think you can get back to Kiosk on your 3rd day.  Happy viewing!

Last edited by boknows (3/26/2019 11:04 am)

3/26/2019 1:29 pm  #9

Thanks for the research Bo. This does put a wrinkle in the plans....  however this just means I get to spend even more time going over my maps.

3/26/2019 1:50 pm  #10

No problem.  I always like to help out other AAers with their trip expectations.

If you wish to start at Kiosk, a really good 3-day route with some portaging is Kiosk-Little Mink-Mink-Club-Waterclear-White Birch-Kiosk.  Lots of trout fishing too along the way.   The first night I would camp on Club.  The 2nd campsite to your right upon enter Club is a gorgeous site,  beach,  with an old truck at the back of the site.  The next night I would camp on is White Birch which gives you an easy day to get out on your 3rd day.  Send me a private message if you wish and I can give you some info re trout fishing in these lakes.

3/26/2019 1:51 pm  #11

There's a road 1 km east of Birchcliffe that seems to go all the way to the north end of Osler. It's a lot of walking but seem it would be quicker than trying to fight Birchcliffe Creek.

Better yet, just paddle to Coral-root Lake and take a shorter road that will put you on the Skuce to Maple Creek portage.

Last edited by solos (3/26/2019 2:00 pm)

3/26/2019 3:20 pm  #12

solos wrote:

Better yet, just paddle to Coral-root Lake and take a shorter road that will put you on the Skuce to Maple Creek portage.

We are coming from Erables to Birchcliffe, and we were going to try and bypass some of Maple creek with the road you mentioned from Skuce over to Coral-root. My issue is now getting out of Birchcliffe and getting to North Tea etc the next day...

Last edited by Evan Briden (3/26/2019 3:21 pm)

3/26/2019 3:38 pm  #13

Yup, some parts of the park just are not that accessible, but that makes it much more fun when you overcome the challenge. Good Luck.

3/29/2019 6:36 pm  #14

Solos,

3 buddies and myself took those roads you mentioned and with a little bit of bushwhacking, ended up on Osler Lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.