You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2019 1:55 pm  #1

Cross Corner Lake

An AA member invited me on a trip to Cross Corner Lake this August. I won't name him directly, but let's just say he's on a quest to see All of Algonquin, and so he Drew up this trip plan (subtle as a 30-pound hammer to the skull). 

A search of this forum turned up MartinG's hilarious "where am I" response in which he listed every lake in the park. A broader internet search turned up a trip video, but Cross Corner was just a stepping stone to the real story, and they barely showed it or its campsite. 

So - have you been? Is that stretch of the Hollow River likely to be navigable in late August, or will we be walking the entire thing? There are two campsites on Cross Corner - one Algonquin site, one crown land site. Is either decent? How's the lake itself? Worth the slog to get there?

3/19/2019 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Cross Corner Lake

Uppa wrote:

An AA member invited me on a trip to Cross Corner Lake this August. I won't name him directly, but let's just say he's on a quest to see All of Algonquin, and so he Drew up this trip plan (subtle as a 30-pound hammer to the skull). 

A search of this forum turned up MartinG's hilarious "where am I" response in which he listed every lake in the park. A broader internet search turned up a trip video, but Cross Corner was just a stepping stone to the real story, and they barely showed it or its campsite. 

So - have you been? Is that stretch of the Hollow River likely to be navigable in late August, or will we be walking the entire thing? There are two campsites on Cross Corner - one Algonquin site, one crown land site. Is either decent? How's the lake itself? Worth the slog to get there?

Oh man, no one’s going to crack that code.

It’s me! I’m the one who wants to go to Cross Corner. And Bob raises some good questions, particularly about the river travel in mid August. Anyone been down that way?

3/19/2019 5:18 pm  #3

Ask GfromKitch he's been there a couple of times.

3/20/2019 7:04 am  #4

Answering my own questions! I messaged David Lee as he was in the video I saw, and he sent me some info. 

====

Hey Bob! Yup, we did stay at the campsite on Cross Corner on the north side of the lake. It is up a rise at the top of a granite mount. Decent campsite with a fire pit. It is on the border and I don't think it is an official park campsite as there wasn't any signs. Iit is a decent lake. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Pic of the campsite:

3/20/2019 4:38 pm  #5

LOL and that is Glen in the picture!

3/27/2019 12:14 pm  #6

Hey Drew et al.  Let me know when you guys do this, I live at the mouth of Kawagama river where it hits Lake of Bays. Stop by my place for a beer and trip report if you come out the Kawagama River way. Here is a possible trip: Drive up Livingstone Lake road to Dividing Lake access (Dagger Lake) and leave a car behind (my house if you need as I have lotsa parking), paddle east on dagger and minkey to dividing lake, south to the Hollow R then south to Cross corner, out toKawagama lake, back down the lower Hollow to lake of bays.

I paddle the Kawagama river from just west of Cross Corner (get a friend to drop me off, its accessible via dusty roads), in my solo canoe every fall a few times during hunting season for deer, grouse and ducks. I do believe I am the only one who does so, hence my attraction to this area. I can run the entire southern section from Kawagama to LOB in my small solo boat, with the exception of I believe 2 portages where there are chutes.

Last edited by ryanmorin (3/27/2019 12:17 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.