You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2019 1:09 pm  #1

Temagami

Hello there fellow AA'ers! I know most of us are very familiar with Jeff's maps. The Algonquin map shows almost all lakes with the fish that inhabit them. My question is? Why doesn't Temagami? Algonquin and Killarney do. Does anyone know of or where I can find this info? Maps or a link? Not looking for honey holes just what fish species are present there. Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Splakin

I'm just gone Fishin!

3/08/2019 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Temagami

There could be better ones out there, but I found this one a couple months in an Atmosphere store. Shows species and what is stocked where. Not sure about accuracy or anything else and I don't own this one. I bought the Algonquin version as a back up to my Jeffs map while I wait for the Unlostify version to come out. I do like how it shows species, stocked lakes and includes species Jeffs map doesn't.

https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backroad-mapbooks/ontario-backroad-maps/northeastern-ontario-backcountry-maps

3/09/2019 9:57 am  #4

Hey guys! Catto9, your so right. Duh me lol. I have the park and southern Ont region in this series. Totally forgot about them. MartinG, thanks for the link. That is a pretty cool website. Never knew it existed. Trying to plan a trip mid June. 
Thanks again!

I'm just gone Fishin!

3/09/2019 1:05 pm  #5

Splakin wrote:

Hello there fellow AA'ers! I know most of us are very familiar with Jeff's maps. The Algonquin map shows almost all lakes with the fish that inhabit them. My question is? Why doesn't Temagami? Algonquin and Killarney do. Does anyone know of or where I can find this info? Maps or a link? Not looking for honey holes just what fish species are present there. Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Splakin

Good question!

It's very difficult to get fishing info, but it's extremely hard to get accurate fishing info.

Speaking about Fish Online specifically, it's better than it used to be, it's still full of mistakes (this is second hand, but I heard that when it launched, it was internally considered an embarrassment).

In Algonquin I've been lucky enough to have met people who know a lot more than I do, who I trust, and who were gracious enough to share their knowledge (in particular, Greg Betteridge and Stephen Molson, both of whom did fisheries research in the park). Killarney is a special situation where I was able to piece together accurate information from all of the scientific reports that have been written about the park. 

It's important to me that my maps are as accurate as possible, and I'd rather not include a feature if I don't feel I can do a good enough job. That was the situation with the Temagami map.

@Catto9 - Out of curiosity, what other species do you want to know about? How does the fact that a lake is stocked impact where you might want to go? I've considered adding an indicator for stocked lakes before, but it's been suggested to me that the fact a lake is stocked has little correlation with fishing quality (e.g. Ouse Lake is stocked but when the fisheries unit measured returns from that lake, they were practically nil)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

3/13/2019 8:22 am  #6

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it!

I'm just gone Fishin!

3/14/2019 10:40 am  #7

Hi Jeff, for starters, thank you for the maps, excellent work. Not sure how I would have gotten into canoe tripping without them.

For me, it was Burbot (Lingcod), the poor mans Lobster. Also, Crappie, another species people probably aren't screaming to know about.

As far as stocked lakes, I would agree that it doesn't indicate good fishing. I'm just a nerd who likes as much info as possible as well as liking the idea of catching native trout, not that I wouldn't fish a stocked lake as I used to volunteer at my local trout hatchery. My experience is that native fish are more elusive, thus more challenging to catch (I could be dead wrong about this).

IMO Jeff's Map is a superior canoe tripping map to the one I referenced above, and I look forward to getting my hands on an unlostify map.

3/14/2019 10:46 am  #8

yes burbot,,  freshwater cod,, but do not forget the whitefish,, best of all in m.h.o.
    i boil  them in heavily salted water,, then melt up garlic butter to pour over the fish,,now that is poor mans lobster for me,,  lemon juice is great too

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/14/2019 1:31 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.