You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2019 3:20 pm  #1

looking for advice planning three day route

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this forum, and I am impressed with the generous sharing of advice and information.  I’m looking for advice for trip planning for a first visit to Algonquin. We will be a group of six and we are very excited. We are looking forward to solitude, wilderness, wildlife, a little fishing.

We plan to rent canoes and pack our gear on Thursday, Aug 15, and be ready to launch Friday morning, though I can’t guarantee it will be at the crack of dawn!  Some of our group has be at the Toronto airport before 3PM on Monday Aug 19, so Sunday night we should camp within a two hour paddle of our cars.

We range in age from 30 to 65, but we are all physically fit, many of us have backpacked for many years, and we all went on a three day canoe trip last summer, where we enjoyed paddling about 8 miles/ 4 hours a day. We like the 4 hours a day paddling and portaging, having the afternoon to relax, be in the woods and on the water, and fish. (Catching fish would be great but is not essential.) We’re hoping to do single carries but are not sure if we can, especially for longer portages. We will be bringing two pack boats (solo) and renting two canoes.

We have two possible trips in mind and wonder if anyone has advice for us.

First plan:
Put in at Rain, go through Sawyer, Jubilee, Juan, camp at Moccasin or Bandit, maybe explore some of the lakes nearby after setting up camp.
Day two, paddle through Wenona, Muslim, Misty (lunch on Misty?) and camp at Little Misty.  
Day three, paddle along Petawawa, through Daisy, camp at Casey.  
Monday, paddle out through Rain.

We spoke to an outfitter who thought that was not a good plan, that the campsite at Little Misty is not good, and the Petawawa could be very low and difficult by mid August.  Also the trip back to the airport would be long from Rain.

He suggested an alternative route-
Leave a car at Cache.
Start at Smoke, paddle through Koochie Bay, Ragged Bay, camp on Porcupine (though I read there’s some beautiful campsites on Bonnechere).
Day two, paddle Bonnechere, Cradle Lake, Phipps, camp at Kirkwood.
Day three, go through Pardee, Harness, camp at Head.
Monday, shuttle from Cache back to Smoke, and and some of us head for Toronto airport.

Anyone have opinions about these routes?  Will we be in beautiful peaceful places?  We do want to avoid crowds which is why I initially thought we should stay away from Route 60, but I don’t know much.  Any thoughts very much appreciated!

3/07/2019 4:36 pm  #2

Re: looking for advice planning three day route

Perhaps you should consider a loop out of Canoe Lake then to Burnt Island, Big Trout, Tom Thomson and out. It might be a little more paddling but you should save time by having an outfitter right at Canoe Lake, which is also easily accessible by car.

3/07/2019 8:26 pm  #3

There are trip logs on the adventures.com site for both the trips you mention. And, on the pci map on that website you can see the pics people have taken of some sites on the lakes you mention. That maybe a help  if you didn’t already know about it. As far as the smoke lake and onward trip, my daughter and I did smoke to ragged to bonnechere, Phipps and kirkwood in September of last year. Ragged was very very busy with firewood very hard to come by, at least on the site we were on for the night. Porcupine was nice but we didn’t camp there,bonnechere had 2 sites we liked, the famous ‘gaga’ Site ( pci map #2)high on the rocks which was occupied, and the site we ended up on which is between cradle lake and bonnechere. ( pci map#6) The other sides were not so much to our liking, some small, some uneven, some deep in the trees, but everyone has different ideas on what they like best. The paddle through porcupine and bonnechere and on we found very scenic, especially Phipps and kirkwood. The channel connecting bonnechere and Phipps had high enough water to paddle last year, but others have said it can be quite low. The first site on phipps was reasonably flat with about 2-3 tent spots if they’re not too big, we passed the next site due to a steep incline. Kirkwood island site was very sloped, with only one flat tent spot on top. Pics on pci map.
As we did not make it a loop I can’t help you past kirkwood. We paddled back and spend time on park side bay, off of ragged, which had wonderful sites on points etc. These sites were quite large.
All in all we loved our trip, but there were definitely people around,although I can’t say it was busy once we entered porcupine.
Hope it helps.

3/08/2019 6:53 am  #4

Fishing will be best in August in lakes with Smallmouth bass.  A few south of 60 include Ragged, Whitefish and Rock.  Another nice option might be putting in at 17 and setting up camp on Booth Lake.  You actually can leave your site set up and do some day trips (through Godda, up the Opeongo river) on Saturday and Sunday.  Fishing will be good, some hiking and certainly beautiful.  Less time making/breaking camp and more time to enjoy the area.

3/08/2019 7:50 am  #5

Another option for you is Rain- McCraney, and across to Hot, Wee, Weed, Way. and Islet, back out to Rain, There is one long portage+- 1800M, but it's literally as flat as a board (old railway bed) and, if you want, there are jump off sites near the dock at Rain.

3/08/2019 11:48 pm  #6

I love Cache lake. You could loop right from there to bonnechere and around to head.nice little loop with lots to see. Alternatively leave from Canoe lake to sunbeam. Night two on burnt island and night 3 on little joe leaving a reasonable paddle out day 4. Ive often thought cannisbay south through cache and around to to Bruce or raven would be a nice first day. Raven to poly for a short day leaving the last night on cannisbay with no portage betweeen you and the car on last day also looks like a nice yet little loop. Could be a little busier area. Not sure how popular the bruce,raven Linda lake area is though. I agree with the trip out from rain.nice area but With the paddle and the drive back to Kearney it can make for a long trip back to TO IMO. Especially with time constraints.

3/11/2019 1:21 pm  #7

You're going at the busiest time of the camping season, and don't have much time or the inclination to travel far, so don't expect a serene wilderness experience: you're going to have company wherever you go. But I'd say your Rain Lake access point plan is as good an idea as any, given the restrictions you're working under. 

Avoiding Hwy 60 in mid-August is always a good idea!

3/11/2019 2:21 pm  #8

You've got lots of good feedback here, so I won't confuse things by adding another route option. I think you'd enjoy both routes since they're both nice parts of the park. As Uppa says, it'll probably be busy that time of year no matter where you go.

I will say that I agree with that Outfitter re the site on Little Misty. I paddled past it last summer and wasn't blown away by what I saw. I didn't get out of the canoe, so it's possible I missed a little slice of heaven back in the woods, but it sure didn't look like much to me.

3/11/2019 2:28 pm  #9

Yes, I should have added that while I haven't been on the Little Misty site,  I've paddled closely past it (and seen it in a number of trip reports) and it doesn't look terribly exciting. Little Misty is really just a slight widening of the Petawawa and isn't much of a 'lake'. Spend your night on Misty instead, which is beautiful lake with a number of good to great campsite choices - you'll be happier for doing so. 

3/11/2019 3:46 pm  #10

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the great advice.  I will save some for next time. We're going to start at Smoke and camp at Big Porcupine, then Kirkwood, then Head, maybe with time to set up camp and then paddle around to visit nearby lakes.  We expect to have a little solitude some of the time but know things will be busy coming in and out of the park. We'll plan a longer trip with more time in the back country in the future! And a trip to the Rain - Misty area sometime would be great too. Many thanks for sharing your experience and favorite spots!

3/12/2019 9:44 am  #11

I've done the Rain Lake trip you've described, but in a slightly more efficient way.

Day 1 paddle into Moccasin or Bandit, Day 2 paddle the Petawawa Loop into Misty, Muslim, Wenona, etc., Day 3 out. You get to see all the same stuff, but you're only building camp once.

Also, I've stayed on Little Misty on another trip and loved it! Fair amount of traffic will go past you, but once the evening arrives you've got your own lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.