You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2019 5:22 pm  #1

Route suggestion + bug season

Hi everyone, happy 2019!

For once I'm planning to make my reservations early, which means, unlike every time I come to this forum to ask for suggestion from you fine people at the last minute, there's much less restriction on where I can go. So looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

I've been waiting to go back to Killarney (lake OSA), and I think I'll do it early May. I wanted to ask, are the bug seasons similar in Killarney and Algonquin? So black flies starting in mid-May and a lot of them by late May and June, deer and horse flies in June and July, and mosquitos in July but pretty tolerable by late-July and early August? And then a blissful September? Really want to avoid these bugs as much as possible. Went backcountry camping last year for Canada Day weekend, and it was brutal. 

As for route suggestions, anything that's ideally no more than a 4-hour drive from Toronto. The groups I go with tend to want a relaxing weekend, so just staying at one site after a 4-8 hour paddle and portage(s) with some easy to medium-level challenges. As a group we're all more experienced now, though the paddling tends to go a bit slower than it should. As for the ideal sites, something that has a serene view and is open with some wind to take away the bugs, not too crowded, ideally fishing is possible, and has a beach or a nice Canadian Shield rocks that you can lie down on and ponder about the existence of life!

Thanks for all your help!

1/21/2019 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Route suggestion + bug season

Heya Sep,
Well, it's cabin-fever time, and definitely can appreciate the early planning!
I have a suggestion for you, but it all depends on the cost level you're looking for. 
I'd almost suggest taking the A.O shuttle for drop off and pick up to sally your way into Happy Isle. 
That way, you can do one portage and a brief paddle and you're at your weekend island site with opportunities to do a day trip or two.  The site on the south facing side of the island has a either a great Westerly rock "Couch" view of the sunset or the alternative southerly site has a great jumping off point for some swimming. (If you're looking at May I'm not sure how much swimming you'll actually be doing though bbrrr)
Plenty of opportunity and a variety of fishing in Happy Isle, or try your hand at either Merchant or Red Rock (love that lake... totally underrated).
If you'd like more movement and to see more of the park.  A good 4 day loop would see you go,
1st day - Drop off to Happy isle Portage and stay on Merchant. 
2nd day- Merchant up through Blowdown/Hemlock lakes and stay on either La Muir or the awesome island site on Hogan.  Then head south again, stay at either Crow L (Get there early... the best sites fill up fast) or stay your last night on Proulx L for a pick up the next day at the end of the portage onto Opeongo there
3rd or 4th day - Crow/Proulx - Out

Good luck!  If you were heading to the North End it opens you up to more opportunity IMHO, but it's about a 6 hours drive for you from the big smoke.
JB

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.