You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2018 11:14 pm  #1

The planning begins,May/June interior trip ( looking for advice)

Cabin fever has not even set in yet but for sure time spent planning a trip
is good for the soul  , especially when the trip is to a part of Algonquin Park
I have yet to paddle . Looking at a trip that includes Catfish and Burntroot 
as well as the many smaller lake around this area. On Jeffs map there are 
black portages that we might consider rater than backtracking the same way .

Has anybody recently used these black portages ( Robinson to Junco, Junco to Hayes,
Hayes to Macoun, Macoun to North Cuckoo and North Cuckoo to Pet R)I will also ask of AA and review CCR but hoping others on APF might have current info.
I would like to know these portages are hopefully signed and/or used somewhat to 
make finding the ingress possible and following the portage doable !

Early spring is iffy for RED portages because of winter/spring blowndows and
for sure these Black portages likely are not maintained at all ?

Planning is one of my bugaboos while my partner would likely say lets just do it.

Any comments , recent experience or advice is welcome 

Thanks in advance

12/14/2018 6:41 am  #2

Re: The planning begins,May/June interior trip ( looking for advice)

I haven't done those specific black portages, but I've done my fair share of others.  I have been pleasantly surprised, even in early spring, with their condition.  Marked like other portages and in general good quality with the occasional blow-down that is usually easy to circumnavigate.  That doesn't mean you'll find identical quality and condition but, as a rule, they are in pretty good shape.

A black portage does not indicate NO maintenance, just less maintenance than red ones.  They are certainly maintained.  I would be more concerned if they were dead-ends or WAY out in the middle of nowhere.  But those are traveled enough to have reliable expectations.  I'm sure others will chime in on specifics of those portages...and hopefully they don't say "the ones we found sucked"!

12/14/2018 9:21 am  #3

While I've not done those portages either, generally speaking low maintenance portages are not seriously different than maintained ones, but with either, early spring can offer it's own challenges in the form of blow-downs, flooded sections, and even lingering ice and snow. Your best bet is to call the park a few days before the trip to find out the conditions and whether any trail maintenance has been done. If not you may need to bring a decent saw, and expect having to brush out blow-downs

12/14/2018 1:53 pm  #4

The condition of low maintenance portages is a function of the type of forest as well as how recently it has been maintained.  Portages through mature hardwood forest can stay in excellent shape for years without maintenance.  At the other extreme, a portage through a dying spruce forest needs almost continuous maintenance to remain clear of deadfalls.

12/15/2018 8:01 am  #5

Just after ice out last spring I did a 7 day trip out of Brent and met up with a friend a few days in who had already been in the park for a week. He had did the catfish-north cuckoo-junco-hayes route and I remember him saying those portages were better/easier than some Red ones he had already done.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

12/16/2018 11:33 pm  #6

Thank you to all who responded to date . I am
Certainly optimistic with this trip planning from
recent responses ;-).  Still planning as this is my
special “ Maybe still can do it trip” as I do draw OAS
This June ( likely they do donot yet have Mail  deliver to Big Tbeven
Even though at certain campsites on Big T I could do a
Chq deposit ;-) ... Just maybe day dreaming here , OAS chqs
are a thing of the past as I am told direct deposit is defacto  now.
If only beam me there Scotty was as easy as fiction then  I would
be on Big T weekly or on lakes between there and Cedar

Lots to still do
Planning and prep ( looks likes at least a. 8-10 day
Trip ( we will stay over at a few lakes  to allow for
adequate fishing / rest !). Food menu / dehydrating
and gear triage ( we are too heavy and are getting older
But that brings its own challenges ( aka comfort ) !)’

Be it an early May after Ice out
Trip or a late Aug soirée is yet to be seen
If you do not plan it , it can never happen
Is my  motto ;-)

Once again TKS

Last edited by Raton_Laveur (12/16/2018 11:39 pm)

1/03/2019 9:24 pm  #7

Talked with a few lads offline that have been in this area of concern. Supposedly the Black portages in question are marked and usable .  Had a horrible situation with Black campsites years back when we had to book and use Little Crooked because Dickson was fully booked . In fact it wasn't fully booked just many groups of multiple people individually booking the lake making it look like it full :-( . We had to portage black portage ( lots of down falls) and then really could not find the campsite and ended up camping at the portage launch point as no campsite  ( e.g. some form of a firepit ) could be found ( It was nearing dusk and that complicated things) . At least the portage area  had safe place for a fire ! The next day we were on Dickson early ( 7:30 am) only to paddle past 4 empty campsites on the way to Little Dickson which we found fully occupied and ended up back on Dickson (Cisco Bay) where we quickly claimed Racoon Island  in the rain as it was unoccupied! We would off shared if anybody had asked but no canoes where seen the next two days . Anyways... I guess I got sidetracked ... So ...Back to the Northern Black portages and campsites on alternate route between Catfish and Burntroot   ... They appear to be more used and as such should be more than OK :-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.