You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2015 2:41 pm  #1

Motors on Tom Thomson?

Hey guys, does anyone know if you could expect to see motors on Tom Thomson? Was thinking of a trip to that area next summer, and in reviewing Jeff's map, can see that motors are allowed as far up as Teepee. There is no motorboat symbol on Thom Thomson or Littledoe but they are all connected and no portages between them....perhaps motors would only be an issue in spring, as I think Dickson and Lavielle are like that. Anyway, if anyobpne knows for sure, please let me know.

Thanks.

Moonman.

10/27/2015 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Motors on Tom Thomson?

Motors are not permitted on Tom Thomson or Littledoe (or Dickson or Lavielle). Whether someone's gonna break the rules of course no one can say, though they'd have to hop a beaver dam to get into TT, not sure about its current status. I would think most of the motorboat traffic even on Tepee and the Joes would be from Arowhon Pines, Camp Arowhon and a small number of cottage leaseholders, since the boat launches that access those lakes aren't for public use, and I'd have to imagine commercial leaseholders wouldn't want any trouble with park enforcement.

Have you seen motorboats on Dickson and Lavielle? Motorboats under 6 HP are allowed in the spring and fall (from Labour Day until late June) on some lakes in that part of the park, but not those two. 

10/27/2015 3:58 pm  #3

We were on Thomson last June.  Saw a couple motor boats. May have been park staff but uncertain. There are a few power boats dock ed at the portage from canoe lake above the dam. Likely private cottage owners. Nothing really stopping the odd boat from entering Tom Thomson from there. Lake is not marked as allowing motors on jeff's map though.

10/27/2015 6:21 pm  #4

Hey guys thanks, looked at the park site and saw the lake listing so yeah, no motors. And no, when I mentioned Lavielle/dickson I was thinking Hogan/LaMur.....although I do think I remeber seeing motors allowed on Lavielle, way back on an old map, 1970's...?)

Moonman.

12/30/2015 10:20 am  #5

There is definately a motor boat stored on La Muir - not sure how often it is used

12/30/2015 12:36 pm  #6

cannot use anythang with a prop,,, electrics and wind up motors included, unless you are native!!! pity

12/30/2015 3:24 pm  #7

I suspect the motor on La Muir is MNR - the one on White Trout/ Big Trout definately is. When we were in the area last year the WT/ BT one was used everyday - the one on LM was not in use.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.