You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2018 12:31 pm  #1

Hey there,

My wife and want to plan a 2 night trip into the park via canoe in late September.  I have a little canoe/back country experience but it hasn't been exercised in a number of years.  I've been doing some research online, but all the information is a little overwhelming.

Is there any advice on a reasonable route(s) to get us started this year.  We hope to make a couple more extended trips next year.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

TJ

8/14/2018 1:09 pm  #2

Re: Newbie

Hello TJ and welcome to the forum.
If you are  just getting back into canoe tripping you likely need to rent a canoe or other camping gear, Access 5 at canoe lake has an outfitter right at the put in location and there are some excellent choices to go from there that are quite easy. Tom Thompson lake, Little Doe Lake, Burnt Island Lake is also quite nice but it is a large lake and you have to be mindful of the wind conditions.
Also to the south of Hwy 60 you can head into Smoke lake and travel to Parkside bay, Ragged or Big Porcupine.
Those should give you a couple of options that are relativity easy.There are numerous other choices as well to do a loop route.

Jeffs maps are available on line to help you with route planning and times.

Cheers

8/14/2018 1:19 pm  #3

How long are you willing to travel? Are you ok with portages? If so, do you have a limit to how many or how long?

Look into Rock to Clydegale, or Magnetewan to David. Both of those would be good beginner options that offer a decent bit of privacy/seclusion.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/14/2018 2:52 pm  #4

Welcome to the forum, Teejer.  You've found the right place to guide you in your quest with many knowledgeable and experienced folks glad to help.

Without asking too many questions on skillsets, desires, etc. I'd recommend the following for late September and two nights:

Route 60 Access...

#9 - Rock Lake down to Pen and Clydegale - if feeling motivated, make it a loop or into Louisa
#6 - as mentioned above, I'd head to Ragged or Big Porcupine - easy and pretty
#29 - Kioshkokwi loop through Mink, Club and Waterclear

Plenty of other options to look at on the triplogs section of the site here as well...
http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/TripLogsIndex.htm

8/14/2018 9:36 pm  #5

Wow,  thanks guys.  I really appreciate the direction.

Great advice, and I feel like I'm rolling now.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.