You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2018 8:50 pm  #1

Wilderness hike

Hello everyone,
My name is Eric and i would like to organise or join a group or find a companion to hike across the park this late august or sept.
Been canoeing back in the 90's at the Baron canyon but havent been since and my adventure side is calling .
Let me know if anyone would be interested.

7/19/2018 9:48 pm  #2

Re: Wilderness hike

Hike? Like across the highway?

7/19/2018 10:39 pm  #3

About 15 years ago my boss for my summer job was fondly remembering his month+ trip with his friend hiking and camping along the logging roads in Algonquin Park. I was just an "Algonquin Novice" back then but now I wish I had quizzed him on that subject because it sounds like the kind of experience that few people have in the park.  

7/20/2018 11:40 am  #4

Jdbonney wrote:

Well theres this logging trails north of hwy 60. That crosses East to West.
Seen it on maps and crossed it on one of my hikes 20+ years ago and always wanted to explore it ever since.

7/20/2018 11:40 am  #5

solos wrote:

About 15 years ago my boss for my summer job was fondly remembering his month+ trip with his friend hiking and camping along the logging roads in Algonquin Park. I was just an "Algonquin Novice" back then but now I wish I had quizzed him on that subject because it sounds like the kind of experience that few people have in the park.  

7/20/2018 11:42 am  #6

It sounds like the same roads that cross the park. It would be a awesome end of summer trek if i could find the right companion to do it with this summer.

7/21/2018 7:53 am  #7

While there are plenty of logging roads running almost everywhere, campsites are a different story... you'll have to camp at designated campsites at that time of year which complicates things when choosing which logging roads. The road will have to pass near a campsite closely enough to be able to bushwhack in. Another complication may arise if the campsite is occupied and the occupants aren't in the mood to share it with you, which means another bushwhack through to the next campsite which also might be occupied.

You might have read about people crossing the park this way in winter when camping is allowed anywhere except at a designated campsite. The park empties out more after Labour Day so that might make campsite availability less of an issue.

Getting an interior permit might be another problem after you describe your trip to park staff... they might not be willing to issue a permit at a time when campsite occupancy is high and there is the possibility that reservations may not be possible on crowded lakes. Don't let this stop you from trying, you might be able to do this if you explain that if no campsite turns out to be available, you'll camp in a non campsite area leaving no trace the same way as a canoe tripper will if all campsites turn out to be occupied (this is described somewhere in park regs).

Some logging roads are interesting to walk, eg. the one south of Hogan, and some can be used to access campsites for an overnight. It'll be interesting to see if you can pull this off at that time of year, so tell about how things are going with planning and permits. Good luck.

Last edited by frozentripper (7/21/2018 8:01 am)

7/25/2018 10:37 pm  #8

At this point all planning is mental, Im just trying to see if anyone would or could do this trek, looking now more after Labour day week end.
I appreciate your advice, its not absolutely necessary I stay or only use logging roads but it would speed up the walking thru the interior and get to see more visually then if I use the common trails.
I would use your advice as per the park authorities releasing a permits under my circumstances.
any other advice or comments are appreciated.
planning on no more then 2-3 weeks at the most but again not necessary to cross the entire park.
The point of this trek is to enjoy time away from the big city and connect with nature.
Wilderness69

7/25/2018 10:50 pm  #9

Jdbonney wrote:

well even thou highway 60 must be a sight to see id rather stay away from asphalt myself since I see it everyday.
If you use google maps and google earth you can easily see the major logging roads crossing the park north of Highway 60, Never researched in south side but I was concentrating my efforts in the north.

7/25/2018 10:51 pm  #10

solos wrote:

Well my friend that's the ideal, unusual and different view then what you'd see trail wise.

7/25/2018 11:25 pm  #11

After all nothing is certain in the wild, even if taking a break in Madawaska or other to regroup and continue on after a few days rest, Im retired so lots of time and energy to do it when the weather permits of course, so knowing this its a wonderful opertunety to visit , enjoy and take in Algonquin at its best .

7/26/2018 8:04 am  #12

W69... 2-3 weeks is a long time spent with only a backpack and the food you can carry in it. Most likely you'll have to resupply once or twice but since you mention Madawaska to regroup you've probably already thought of this and might be able to arrange a resupply point (Brent is used for resupply by others).

Since you might be looking at modifying the route from cross-park to something else, this could help simplify things, esp with the time being after Labor day when more campsites will be unoccupied and available.

Logging roads, including the larger, more permanent ones, are marked in white on Google maps and these could be used to connect to lakes with campsites nearby and to areas you're interested in seeing. You'll find there's a lot of choice in roads available so some time can be spent planning things out. More roads will be visible in satellite photos with high resolution identifying the ones that are open and those that are overgrown. Also bridges (which can be removed) should show up in sat photos, and can help to cross barriers like wetlands and rivers. 

AFA's active haul roads are marked below along with season of use... you might want to stay off these if you want to avoid noise, OTOH they are available as long as you get off the road if you hear trucks approaching which might not see you in time. Keep posting here to tell about how things are going and enjoy the planning. 

http://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/AWS_Webmap.pdf

PS... I've used logging roads in the fall myself to backpack to campsites and it is enjoyable. Just a word of caution about rutting moose at that time of year... this happened in the Wilkens lake area once and the thought of that big brute charging if I got any closer was something that stopped progress for a while. 

Last edited by frozentripper (7/26/2018 8:15 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.