You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2018 8:04 am  #1

Cranebill to Lily Pond Portage

Has anyone done this portage this year? What kind of shape is it in? I'm having to re-plan my end of July trip because we lost a day and I'm wondering about working this in, but don't love the idea of 2.4 km of low maintenance portage if it's in bad shape.

7/19/2018 9:34 pm  #2

Re: Cranebill to Lily Pond Portage

I think that few people go through that portage so I feel its unlikely you'll get the info you are asking for. Perhaps this will be a little useful. We stayed on Cranebill 3 years ago and did a bushwhacking hike out to some logging roads that led to the other low maintenance portage out of Cranebill, and we made it down to the Uplands Backpacking Trail. That portage seemed to be in good condition with one or 2 blowdowns along the half we traversed. I suspect the portage you are interested will be less used and likely in a little bit worse condition. I recall reading a trip report once where the big problem on that stretch was lots of mud and little water on Lilly Pond. I bet that portage is probably quicker than the alternate route. Where are you trying to go? Are you making a one-way trip between Rain and Canoe?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.