You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2015 7:58 am  #1

What's Your Favorite Site(s)?

Do you have a favorite campsite either in the interior or in any of the campgrounds?  One that you seem to measure other campsites to?  I'd love to hear where they are and why you like them, or even see some pics if you have them! 

My perfect campsite has the following:
-great view
-privacy
-wildlife viewing areas visible from the site
-level tent pads
-decent trees for tarping

One of my favorite sites was on St. Andrews Lake.  I can't recall which one it was exactly as it was a few years back, but it was a nice open site with lots of Pine and Spruce.  It had a nice table built out of small rocks.  To me it was the quintesential Algonquin campsite....

I also really like the site on Tim Lake that we usually stay at (the one in the south east corner of the Lake).  It has a great view, decent tent sites and is a great spot for wildlife viewing.
[url][/url]

Years ago I recall a site which I believe was on the Petawawa River (see the retro pic below).  It had a nice sand bar where you could walk out and do some star gazing, and I seem to remember that site as being really nice as well
[url][/url]

10/20/2015 2:06 pm  #2

Re: What's Your Favorite Site(s)?

For front country camping, our family has always preferred Pog Lake, Campground C and really don't camp in front country Algonquin unless we can get in there.  Privacy was usually the priority, and the mature pines contribute ambience.
Exposed rock and mature conifers seem to be of highest priority to me when I'm back country, now that I think back.  This September, my site amongst the hemlocks on Pardee was one of my favourites this year.

I thought this fire pit area that I passed through was pretty cool though, and was tempted to spend the night.

10/20/2015 5:21 pm  #3

That is a very cool looking fire pit!

10/21/2015 4:41 pm  #4

On Hogan lake, on one of the islands, there's a nice site. Faces east, so it's out of the relentless northwest or southwest wind. Sheltered landing as a result. Faces the cliff, sort of.
The best feature is that a very short walk takes you to a beach facing west for sunset views and stargazing. I've only stayed at this site once, so I might be reminiscing about it through rose coloured glasses, but it seemed mighty fine at the time.

Pics:  Afternoon facing eastish

Evening sun on the cliff

View from west side of island at sunset, literally a one minute walk from the site

View from the hammock in the morning

Last edited by LaLoche (10/21/2015 4:43 pm)

10/23/2015 10:03 am  #5

For some reason I absolutely love some of the sites on Grand Lake. They are all easy access but I find for whatever reason they have a rustic feel to them.

10/23/2015 10:09 am  #6

Great pics guys! (and great book token!)

10/23/2015 10:40 am  #7

LaLoche wrote:

On Hogan lake, on one of the islands, there's a nice site. Faces east, so it's out of the relentless northwest or southwest wind. Sheltered landing as a result. Faces the cliff, sort of.
The best feature is that a very short walk takes you to a beach facing west for sunset views and stargazing. I've only stayed at this site once, so I might be reminiscing about it through rose coloured glasses, but it seemed mighty fine at the time.

We had that site in mid-June last year and really loved it.   In addition to being a really scenic site, there were also very few bugs there.   The bugs had been horrible at Red Pine Bay two days earlier so we were very happy at being able to relax without having to fend off hungry black flies and mosquitos.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.