You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2015 9:08 pm  #1

Season coming to an end!

As the end of this years paddling season unfortunatly approaches who has more trips planned? I was talking to the owner of Algonquin North Outfitters the other day and he already has all of his canoes stored and only has 1 more group heading out this month and thats all he expects for the rest of the year.
I won't be doing any multi-day trips I don't think but I am hoping to get out for at least a few more overnighters if the weather co-operates. I hope to go out tomorrow morning to Crotch lake but they are calling for 40+km/h wind gusts so I'm not sure if it will happen or not.

10/18/2015 10:37 pm  #2

Re: Season coming to an end!

No more canoeing this year but hope to get a backpacking trip in

Dave

10/19/2015 9:45 am  #3

Not this year (surgery is imminent) but in past years canoeing wasn't too bad if you were willing to gamble a bit. Maybe the best time of the year is right now.

Red oaks will keep their color long after maples have dropped most of their leaves. So will tamaracks. And if the weather turns rough, there are always old roads to explore.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5496/10485128644_fab800bf3a_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/10479050164_16a9b28ea3_b.jpg

10/19/2015 12:00 pm  #4

I'm in petewawa now.. Almost at sec lake! ;-)

10/19/2015 4:12 pm  #5

Have fun... check up on those Eagles!

10/20/2015 6:52 am  #6

My son and I did see one immature eagle on Sec late August, by then the island sites were re-opened.

Heading in for a last go this weekend, setting up camp on Billy L. and likely slide over to Crotch/Farm/Shall depending on the winds etc.

That'll be the end of camping, might get the canoe into the local rivers once or twice more though before ice arrives

10/31/2015 10:12 am  #7

Leaving Nov. 2nd and coming back the 4th for another solo trip! This one might almost be the last actual canoe trip if the year unfortunatly. The weather is looking GREAT though! (thats why I booked some days off work)

Anyone else have any November plans?

10/31/2015 1:38 pm  #8

i am deer hunting for 2/3 days (weather is too warm for da buck moves) i was thinking of a trip for several nights in the park later this week. not sure where? splake lakes? sunday,sproule,
 gotta find me map

11/01/2015 8:29 am  #9

Indian summer this week, it seems, drop everything and go. Me, I'm getting over surgery.

Tamaracks should be in color along rivers bordered by wetlands eg. Tim, along with waterfowl and no shotguns.

Red oaks should be in color along with some poplars still hanging on, McManus, Whitson, plus the chance to land a musky... good luck.

11/01/2015 7:22 pm  #10

I have 4 trips planned over the next few months

I prefer winter camping ( no bugs / no people )

I'm heading to Killarney November 3-5
Got 3 days off at the end December that I'm heading to Algonquin

As well as 2 more trips booked - just haven't picked the location yet

11/01/2015 9:40 pm  #11

Does anyone know the typical snow coverage around the end of December?

Hoping to go to the Sunday Lake trail for a couple of nights on Dec 19th,  it's a lot easier pulling a sled vs. carrying a pack...

Cheers,
Marko

11/02/2015 12:33 am  #12

frozentripper wrote:

Indian summer this week, it seems, drop everything and go.

You've convinced me. I usually backpack this time of year but the dog has come down lame so we are going to trip instead to Little Island Lake for a couple of nights (Tues, Wed) via Cache. Doesn't seem to be much info on this lake in the archives so should be interesting. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Dave

Dave

11/02/2015 1:46 pm  #13

Hey AT

Stayed on Little Island a couple of weeks ago for 1 night. Had the lake to ourselves.Checked out all the sites.

Site circled in black is the best IMO. Get morning sun,  flat, nice beach access and good view.

Site circled in blue is nice too. It's huge. Just doesn't have the view the other one does.

OOPPS Blue circe is on the wrong site . One to the left of it is the one I meant.

Last edited by ShawnD (11/02/2015 1:50 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/02/2015 4:13 pm  #14

Thanks, Shawn. I'll shoot for that site. 
Weather's holding. Its been a couple of years since I've had a rain free trip. 

Dave

11/07/2015 5:45 am  #15

Algonquintripper wrote:

Thanks, Shawn. I'll shoot for that site. 
Weather's holding. Its been a couple of years since I've had a rain free trip. 

So how was it? You must have arrived fairly late because I headed back out from Tanamakoon on Tuesday at around noon and didn't see a single person/canoe the whole time I was on the water.

11/07/2015 2:33 pm  #16

Looks like we just missed each other, Token.

http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1833#p1833

Dave

11/07/2015 3:22 pm  #17

I remember a vehicle with a red canoe passing by in the opposite direction while heading home somewhere on 60 and it was obviously you. We must missed each other at Cache lake by less than an hour. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.