LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2018 9:14 am  #18

Re: How are the bugs!?

After returning from a week on and around the Galipos, I can say the bugs are abundant & biting but they're not as bad as I've seen in the past, or as described above in other areas of Algonquin - but that can often be the case - tons of bugs here, not so many there, and so on. We did need deet and head nets on portages, but never had to use bug jackets or setup the bug shelter - not bad for June.

However what was a bit of a shock was having all 4 biters around at once - I've never had the privilege of dodging mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies and horse flies all at once. That part kinda sucked - but overall it was a typical June trip as far as biting insects are concerned.

7/15/2018 9:20 pm  #19

Any mid-July updates?

7/16/2018 6:29 am  #20

Just returned from a weekend around achray. Bugs were not awful. deer flies and mosquitos. The low lying areas were bad but for the most part it was predictable for the time of year.

7/16/2018 4:50 pm  #21

I just came back from camping in the area east of Rain Lake. The deer flies were around here and there but not too bad. At night we experienced a bad frenzy of mosquitos. Others I talked to after the trip either had some bad nights of mosquitos or nights where mosquitos weren't too bad. So I guess it just depends where you are. Either way, it's still a lot better than June

Board footera