You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2018 7:14 pm  #1

Al and Uppa's Bogus Journey - Clover Lake, part 2

Hi All,

Part two of my version of Bob and my ice out trip down to Clover is now up over at All of Algonquin. You've seen the movie, now read the book! Actually, I guess this makes my report the novelization. Either way, hope you enjoy it!

http://allofalgonquin.com/2018/05/30/tarn-lake-and-a-whole-lot-of-walking/

Drew

5/31/2018 8:15 am  #2

Re: Al and Uppa's Bogus Journey - Clover Lake, part 2

I'm glad to have both a novel and a video of that loop, because if I ever get to thinking one year that it wasn't so bad and maybe it'd be worth revisiting, I'll have plenty of evidence to convince me otherwise!

As always, your writing style is super entertaining - it was a great read. 

6/01/2018 4:36 am  #3

Fun!

Fun to read while I'm in a comfortable chair and drinking coffee, I mean. Contrasts are nice!

Hilarious as usual AL and I'm very glad you guys did that trip. After a decade's worth of amnesia had set in, I honestly had ideas of doing that loop again someday (maybe clockwise for contrast?), and I know now that I never actually have to.

Great report,
Matt

6/02/2018 8:39 pm  #4

After growing impatient for Bob to upload the third video of his trip I decided to read the novel rather wait for the movie as you say. What a great trip report! Even though you truly get across how awful the portages were I still feel a small desire deep within to try out this route one day. Unfortunately I'm sure it won't hold nearly as many laughs as I had reading about your pain.

I particularly resonated with the following quote:

"It’s one of those trails that’s specifically designed to torture you by showing you the water on the other side way before you reach the put in. There are few things worse than walking along the bank of the lake you’re supposed to be paddling, knowing you’re not supposed to put in just yet, but not knowing why."

6/05/2018 5:35 am  #5

Thanks guys,

it’s a tough loop in places (that tarn/st. Andrews portage is the worst) but I think it’s well worth doing at least once. The scenery and sights are pretty fantastic, it’s private and Clover lake is worth the effort.

I’m heading in to Kiosk this weekend. No 4.5 k portages his time and very happy about that.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.