You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2015 3:50 pm  #1

What species is in Shah Lake?

Shah Lake sits between Misty Lake and the Tim River. I'm looking to include it in a trip for next year.
If you know what species of fish are in Shah Lake can you please let me know.
I check the Friends of Algonquin book but Shah Lake is not listed in it.  Thanks.

10/14/2015 8:38 pm  #2

Re: What species is in Shah Lake?

According to this none:

http://www.javacoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/FishOnline/#fishInfo?waterBodyId=210250226&request_locale=en

But I'd still drop a line to be sure... Ya never know when it says no data available..

10/15/2015 10:02 am  #3

Shah Lake appears to be just under 60 ha in surface area and is not stocked, so it might be against forum rules to discuss trout there, or by a broader read of the rules, native fishes in general. Though I wonder if the fish location rule is more about discussing the quality of a fishery, since the mere presence of certain species is easily available info for many lakes.

In any case it's a bit of a moot point with Shah, since I don't think there are any trout there and as far as I know there aren't any game fish species. Maybe some perch or sunfish? Like Peek, I wouldn't rule out there being fish in the lake just because there are none listed in the Fish ON-Line entry -- the entry also lacks basic size and depth info for the lake, so I assume it was just never surveyed by the MNR, rather than surveyed and found barren. But at the same time, if there were trout there I feel like we'd know through various sources, and the lake's location makes it unlikely that there are other large game species there.

Not impossible that there's a sucker-burbot food chain churning up the bottom of the lake, though. I'd be interested to find out if anyone knows.

10/15/2015 2:05 pm  #4

The tastiest fish that swims if there are enough to fill a frying pan...

We caught some perch in Shah Lake. We were trolling and casting spinners, spoons and crankbaits.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/352882/thread/1364167213/last-1364743444/spring+fishing+trip+access+%234

Last edited by frozentripper (10/15/2015 2:05 pm)

10/15/2015 5:20 pm  #5

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

10/27/2015 9:23 am  #6

My spreadsheet for Park lakes gives it a size 52.4 hectares and an elevation of 427 m but no game fish species listed. As it is right on a used canoe route I suspect that there is no gamefish present. Just a guess but it probably is to shallow for or has a lack of dissolved o2 for trout and isn't part of a waterway to have had smallmouth get into it.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

10/27/2015 10:03 am  #7

What, yellow perch aren't sport fish?

Many APP lakes and ponds are too shallow to sustain trout because oxygen levels drop down to below lethal levels... YP OTOH are able to survive low oxygen better than most other fish species and maybe in some lakes have become dominant and are worth fishing for. Difficult to say since nobody seems to be going for them.

10/27/2015 2:12 pm  #8

Not by definition, but I agree that perch are great fun and great eating.
I'm going to start another thread seeking a list of perch lakes so we can help focus pressure on a prolific species.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.