You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2018 12:02 pm  #1

Sand Lake Gate

I'm going in to Carcajou Bay tonight but I'm likely going to be arriving after the gate closes. I see on the Friends of Algonquin site that there's a cash box for after hours permit payments. Anyone used this before? Is it easy to find?

5/14/2018 1:11 pm  #2

Re: Sand Lake Gate

Yeah. I do it all the time (winter). The box is just to the right of the door of the permit office. It would be hard to miss the office. After driving up the dirt road quite aways, you'll pass the Sec Lake sign and then you know its getting close. A couple minutes further its on the right side of the road and there is a stop sign. Note that there are two envelope types, one for day permits and one for camping, they are different colors, don't remember what colours though. Bring cash with small bills.

In the spring that road, like some the other dirt access roads, gets rough. Big pot holes and mud spots where it dips low in marshy areas. There is a sharp corner that sweeps left about 5k past the gate, its along a marsh and gets muddy and slippery, watch out for it. Seen cars in the ditch at that corner a couple times with peeved rangers helping out!

5/15/2018 9:05 pm  #3

I have wondered about this.  In the side- and off-seasons, the box makes sense, but in the summer season I would only do this if I had a reservation already, otherwise you run the risk of an 'overbooked' situation, especially on busy lakes?

5/17/2018 12:13 pm  #4

Thanks for the replies everyone. The box is indeed easy to find. I put a note through it with my reservation number and told them I’d come to settle up when I left. They didn’t seem to have a problem with that arrangement when I came out today.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.