You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2018 10:16 am  #1

Wendigo-Clamshell Tips

Hi all,

Can't wait for next weekend- doing a solo trip down Wendigo to Clamshell Lake with my dog for two nights.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to see along the way or portages that can be run? Also- is Wendigo-Clamshell Lake in a day pushing it? I'm planning on doing a daytrip to Radiant, can't wait! I hope the fish are cooperating!

Cheers,

Lenny

Last edited by Lenny (5/09/2018 10:17 am)

5/09/2018 10:29 am  #2

Re: Wendigo-Clamshell Tips

I did that run last May 24, It's a fairly easy day from Wendigo to Clamshell, not a whole lot of big scenery from what I can remember but the river is nice. I did run into a little issue at one of the portages, it seemed to end a a little pool and we put in there, the portage actually continues on to the right and the rapids below the pool were not passable, we ended up doing a lift-over to continue and we lost some time, I think it was the 390m at the end of North Depot, just have an eye.

5/09/2018 1:19 pm  #3

clipper paddler wrote:

I did that run last May 24, It's a fairly easy day from Wendigo to Clamshell, not a whole lot of big scenery from what I can remember but the river is nice. I did run into a little issue at one of the portages, it seemed to end a a little pool and we put in there, the portage actually continues on to the right and the rapids below the pool were not passable, we ended up doing a lift-over to continue and we lost some time, I think it was the 390m at the end of North Depot, just have an eye.

That sounds like the same spot where my wife and I got off track once.  Not very good timing either as it was Thanksgiving weekend and cold and raining at the time!

5/11/2018 4:12 pm  #4

When arrive Clamshell you can celebrate the fact that you have paddled the deepest (charted) lake in APP.

5/15/2018 9:10 pm  #5

In the spring you can run the portage from Allan to North Depot.  It's pretty tame water.  The other portages along the North River are not runnable.  On that route, perhaps paradoxically, I've always found that the most challenging portage is the very short one from Shoal Lk into Radiant.

Clamshell is a cool spot. Nice rushing water right next to the camp site.  Have fun!

5/22/2018 8:23 am  #6

Thanks everyone! It was a great trip. Fbeauregard, you were correct, the portage from Allan to North Depot was runnable. There is a note about a wadeable channel on the portage on Jeff's Map from Wendigo but we were not able to find it. Portages were all quite flat and easy. The most amazing part of the weekend was there weren't any bugs out! 

Wendigo Lake Road is not in great shape. Lots of rocks, potholes, loose gravel and one washout. Made it through with my Honda Civic, but likely won't go back without a truck or SUV. 

Last edited by Lenny (5/22/2018 8:25 am)

5/22/2018 8:20 pm  #7

Ya, that road is in rough shape.  You can normally get through in a car, but you gotta take it easy.  Park management doesn't seem to care about that road, presumably because it (and parking lot) is outside the park boundary.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.