You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2018 1:14 pm  #1

Group Camping

What group camping options are there in Algonquin Park? I'm looking for drive in sites that can handle large groups. I am planning on taking a group of 20-30 secondary school students on a camping trip this August and want to fully explore my options. I spent last Monday trying to get a group site at Killbear and this morning at Grundy Lake, but the phone lines were bonkers. After redialing on two phones for several hours by the time I got through everything was booked full. This has left me considering Algonquin. 

After a quick online search I've come across Whitefish Group Camping, and was wondering if anyone has any information on that place? Or are there other options?

**Edit: I realized I posted this in the wrong section. I am used to using this area for trip planning in general and didn't even think that it was only for backcountry trips. I would delete the post but I do not see the option. Sorry.

Last edited by RCShevalier (5/07/2018 1:22 pm)

5/08/2018 7:15 am  #2

Re: Group Camping

Whitefish is the only group campground in the park, There is a huge variety of sites that will fit from 15 to 50 people, some are wide open and right on the water, others are back in the trees a bit (centre ones are more open) There are outhouses and water taps- for flushies or showers you need to go to Pog. Whitefish is a larger lake with a decent beach, good swimming, and good paddling- you can paddle direct to rock, or up a stream (1 50m portage) into  Pog or Two Rivers. Entry is through the Pog Lake gate.
as far as Group sites go, (and I've used a lot!) they're some of the better ones in the province

5/08/2018 1:33 pm  #3

Thanks for that information Scouter. There was one campsite available for the weekend I had in mind so I went ahead and booked it. It might be on the small side so I could end up booking a couple of sites at Pog campground as well. 

Can you comment at all on the things to do in that area? Do you know if there is an open area where a group could play frisbee? Can you get canoe rentals delivered to the campground? 

I'll try and do a drive up in the near future to confirm that it will fit our needs, but would love to hear any additional information you might have. Thanks for the help!

5/09/2018 7:07 am  #4

As long as your numbers aren't more than what the site allows there shouldn't be a problem, most will easily hold 10-20% more than stated. the beach is plenty big for frisbee, and if you reserve from one of the bigger outfitters, they'll deliver. there are several trails a short drive away, same with the visitors centre and Two Rivers store. There's a beach volleyball court by the office too (they used to have a ball, don't know if they still do) 
Pick up a park guide (free) and set of trail guides (they're cheap) at the east or west gate and read through them- makes you look smart to the kids , and helps decide where to go.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.