You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2018 9:34 am  #1

Question about access point openings

I apologize if this has been discussed before, i searched for it before asking but could not find an answer.

Does all of algonquin park open for back country camping at once?  Or do they open specific access points and camping destinations that are ice free?
For example; my trip is booked for rosebary lake.  If tim lake and tim river through into rosebary are ice free will it be open for us even though bigger lakes like opeongo or kiosk are still frozen?

Thanks for any help!

4/26/2018 9:47 am  #2

Re: Question about access point openings

The park gets opened pretty much all at once, after the flyover, but they may put restrictions on certain lakes that aren't yet ice free (I think that happened last year with.. Burntroot?). 

Your bigger problem with Rosebary if your trip is right around ice-out will be whether or not the access road is in decent enough shape to drive.

4/26/2018 9:49 am  #3

In the "not so old" days, yes they would open up access points when that area was ice free. For example access points below Hwy60 could open up a few days to a week before the northern ones. In recent years it seems to be an "all or none" approach, with the exception of seasonal road repairs for specific access points. So basically, it seems that the whole park needs to be deemed to be ice free before any access points are opened up, but if a particular road like the Rain Lake road has washouts, then that wouldn't hold up the opening of all the other access points. 

4/26/2018 12:15 pm  #4

That all makes sense.  Thanks a lot for the info!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.