You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2018 7:15 am  #1

2019 trip Crow River

Anyone ever done the whole thing? Looking at soloing in at Opeongo and out at Traverse Looking for time I should plan with lots of fishing planned Will be done in the peak of bug season So river should still have lots of water. Can you arrange a shuttle with outfitters? Can't do it this year as I am canoeing the Sutton for 10 days and only get a couple of weeks vakay. Any and all input is welcome.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

4/22/2018 11:58 am  #2

Re: 2019 trip Crow River

That is a trip on my list. Have done lots of that area except for downstrean from lavielle...for a brookie guy like you...enough said lol!

Moonman

4/22/2018 12:30 pm  #3

Yes I have always heard good things that's why I would really like to do it. Perfect flyfishing water. Assuming first water taxi in the morning is Crow Bay do-able for a day 1? Nevermind I've decided to take my sweet ass time and do it in 9 days spend a lot of it fishing So first day Crow lake. Second day Crow Bay.  Mallic for a couple/3 days and then river travel for the rest.

Last edited by Was Hardcore (4/22/2018 12:53 pm)

4/24/2018 7:12 am  #4

We've done first taxi in the morning to Crow Bay and, if the weather is perfect and the planets align it's doable.  We found it cold rainy and approaching miserable.  Although we made it there, light was fading when we arrived and we were spent.  Now, this was with a 75 pound aluminum Michicraft canoe, so clearly we weren't the most intelligent crew to base plans upon our experience.

I would recommend a night on the Crow River site between Big Crow and Crow Bay...that way you can take your time to enjoy some fishing along the way. 

Also, does the Crow River officially begin at the outlet of Proulx or is it in Redrock Lake?  Would be a shame to do the whole length but miss the headwaters!  Jeff's map doesn't clearly identify it, but the FoA map shows the stretch between Redrock and Proulx as "Crow River".  Redrock is a beauty and can produce some fish...although it adds a couple sizeable portages.

4/24/2018 8:36 am  #5

I'll second a stay at the campsite along the crow that paPaddler mentioned ... its nice .. .and you are deep i speck territory ... We brought along the fly rod but found very few places to case along the way ... but we didnt continue along the crow river past lavielle so perhaps it gets better there for casting ... 

4/24/2018 10:18 am  #6

Well My itinerary is looking like Crow Lake first night. Crow Bay second and spend all day fishing that stretch. Third day night start of river at east side of Lavieielle. Short distances but long days fishing maybe a side trip up into Woodcock which I have heard good things about. Don't expect a lot of people as it should be the peak of black fly season or so I hope cuz that's when fly fishing in the rivers is best.

4/24/2018 10:20 am  #7

PaPaddler wrote:

We've done first taxi in the morning to Crow Bay and, if the weather is perfect and the planets align it's doable.  We found it cold rainy and approaching miserable.  Although we made it there, light was fading when we arrived and we were spent.  Now, this was with a 75 pound aluminum Michicraft canoe, so clearly we weren't the most intelligent crew to base plans upon our experience.

I would recommend a night on the Crow River site between Big Crow and Crow Bay...that way you can take your time to enjoy some fishing along the way. 

Also, does the Crow River officially begin at the outlet of Proulx or is it in Redrock Lake?  Would be a shame to do the whole length but miss the headwaters!  Jeff's map doesn't clearly identify it, but the FoA map shows the stretch between Redrock and Proulx as "Crow River".  Redrock is a beauty and can produce some fish...although it adds a couple sizeable portages.

It doesn't look like it is navigable from Redrock to Proulx so its probably not worth it. Might peak my nose into it when I pass it if you can see it.

4/24/2018 10:58 am  #8

Possibly navigable, and best opportunity would be early spring flows after ice-out but even then would require a little bushwhacking around falls/rapids.  It does look to be a meandering stream so it might be doable as opposed to a steep, rocky fast-flowing brook.  If you want to do "source to mouth" then you should technically explore it but it is really splitting hairs though.

Your itinerary is quite manageable and will give time for wetting a line.  We've found that stretch at the bottom end of Lavieille to be productive...before the Woodcock portage.  Although there were a lot of Suckers visible in the 10-15' depths too.

4/24/2018 12:46 pm  #9

Yeah Ice out would be best for that stretch but ice out is not the best brook trout fishing.

4/25/2018 6:08 am  #10

strongly agree about that last part...I think mid-May to early June is when they are hitting hardest.

4/25/2018 7:46 am  #11

I've fished the section between Lavieille and Mallic on day trips from Lavieille and camped once on Mallic. The fishing in that stretch can be excellent, I remember getting triple headers at the end of the first portage below the dam, the outflow from Mallic is good as well. Then again I've got skunked on that stretch as well. The campsites on Mallic are so so. I did talk with someone while on Mallic who worked for the park and he said the fishing was good below Mallic as well. Should be a cool trip, I've thought about it myself.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.