You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2018 3:38 pm  #1

Mid Summer Trip Planning

Hi folks,

I'm planning my mid-summer trip (end of July into early August) and I need some advice. My goal is to start from the Rain Lake access point and finish at one of the western access points (that's flexible). I want to stay a night on Shippagew and a night on Nadine. I've got four nights and five days to do this and I'm travelling with a buddy. I'd prefer lakes to river travel.

With all that in mind, I've got this as a tentative route:

Night 1: Queer lake
Night 2: Shippagew 
Night 3: Nadine
Night 4: Biggar
Out at Kawayamog

There are a few things that jump to mind when I look at this route:

1. Day one seems like a reasonable day, provided I get to the access point in good time. Anything along the route that I should be aware of that might make it slower than I think it should be?

2. Day two between Queer and Shippagew. Ideally I'd like to do this by way of Longbow instead of following the Tim River. What's the river like between the Queer portage and Longbow? I'd be going against the current so if that's going to add a ton of time then going the long way might not make sense.

3. Day three from Shippagew to Nadine looks long, but doable as long as we don't run into a bad wind on Burntroot. Here's where I feel like I'm starting to push my luck and really narrowing down my margin for error. I'm familiar with Big Trout through Burntroot, but have never been the rest of the way. Anything along that part of the route that would slow me down?

4. The day from Nadine to Biggar is filled with small lakes and long portages, including Heart Attack Hill, and looks pretty daunting. I've never covered any of this territory before. Is this too far to be trying to cover in one day? Anyone done this or something similar?

5. That's pretty much it. I'd appreciate feedback, alternate routes, suggestions etc. If I'm being honest with myself this looks more like a five night route than a four night one, but I'm not going to be able to get the extra day, so I'm hoping this is doable. 

Thanks,
Drew

4/11/2018 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Mid Summer Trip Planning

Nadine to Biggar in one day looks doubtful, though you will be descending the Heart Attack hill. The previous 2 portages, even if nameless, are tougher over-the-hill kind. And I am not sure Maple creek is easily passable. Altogether it comes to around 15 portages, many of them unmaintained.

4/11/2018 8:07 pm  #3

I think that trip is pushing your luck. I'm not saying it's impossible. Not really a big deal to to do any one of those days. I just don't think it's good planning to string that many together in a row. You could get lost after Devine; You could get windbound on Burntroot; you could bonk on your way to Biggar; Your partner could go axe murderer on Biggar. No wiggle room. No escape route. No room for Plan B.

But if you are determined you might be able to skip heart attack hill by taking a logging road from Osler to Coral Root. No personal experience. Just something I've been looking at on Jeffs Maps for a while.

4/12/2018 6:44 pm  #4

Given your plan, I'm hoping that you and your buddy are very experienced trippers.  You've got a lot of very long, difficult days planned.

Just to give you a data point for Nadine to Biggar:  I did Nadine to Erables in 4:30 last year (I estimated 4:45 for planning).  If I look at my GPS log, it took me about ~3 hours from Nadine to Maple Creek (Jeff's Map estimates almost 4:15 just for this section).  Going from the time estimates on Jeff's Map, you'd need another 7:30 to get to Biggar.  So best case, you are looking at least a difficult 10 hour day.  Heart Attack Hill is probably one of the easier of the portages along that stretch.  I was a bit let down by the name, but I was traveling in the right direction.

I remember looking up Maple Creek and thinking I was glad I was going downstream.  I think the 2 hour estimate for that 2.7km section reflects that.

Shippagew to Nadine is also a stretch.  I've never been on Burntroot when it wasn't really windy. I've done Burntroot (starting at the very North end) to Nadine twice (both times early August), and how long it takes really depends on the water levels.  The first time I did it, levels were low and it took me 5:50.  Last year water levels were high and it only took 4:50.  The portage in to Nadine is all uphill.  It sucks on a hot day.  Drinking the water from the Nip didn't seem very appealing.  The water in Nadine is glorious.  Staring from Shippagew  would add another ~4 hours to the day.

Your day 2 is likely >9hrs.  Your short days are probably ~6+hrs.  I don't see much margin for error.  I travel light and fast, and am pretty ambitious, but I think I'd be reluctant to squeeze all this in.

Last edited by UpTheCreek (4/12/2018 6:44 pm)

4/12/2018 7:27 pm  #5

Thanks for the feedback folks. I thought that Nadine to Biggar day looked like too much and it sounds like people agree.

If I change the last night to erables or maple, then out at Kiosk, which of the two would be better to stay on?

And, for day three, if I do shippagew to whiskey Jack instead of Nadine, would the whiskey jack to erables/maple day be awful?

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (4/12/2018 7:30 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.