You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2018 10:20 am  #1

Looking for a 2-man tent with vestibule - recommendations?

Hi folks,

We are looking to purchase a new tent (even though we do a lot of hammock time, we'll be doing some trips where a tent will come in handy in the coming months).

3 season
2 man (would entertain 3 man if it is worth it but I figure a 2 man with vestibule would work for my wife and I)
Lightweight - would prefer 6 lbs. or less
Roomy - not a huge one for us...I usually have a tarp so if bad weather has us locked into a site for a day we would have some living space outside the tent
Watertight - pretty important
Easy set-up - most I think fit this bill nowadays but you never know
Price - would like to be between $300 & $400 U.S. since our usage is fairly light - probably 5-10 nights a year
Durable - don't need ultra-lightweight and fragile - prefer durability over weight, within reason.

Have looked at reviews of MSR Hubba Hubba and looks good for most of our needs. Big Agnes Copper Spur looks a little pricey for not much over the Hubba.  Marmot Tungsten UL also looks like a reasonable option.  Hilleberg looks fantastic, but would need a mortgage to get in one and is probably overkill for our needs.

What would you folks recommend?  Is a 2 man with vestibule enough or should I push to 3 man for added space/comfort?  Shipping to U.S.

4/11/2018 11:25 am  #2

Re: Looking for a 2-man tent with vestibule - recommendations?

We purchased a Northface Tadpole 2 a couple of years ago.  You won't usually see a vestibule pictured with that tent, but there is one.  We have been very happy with it, in fact I bought another one because we needed a second tent (it is a slightly different version of the Tadpole but I could never figure out the difference...), and I believe it fits all your criteria.  It looks to be a discontinued model, however...I just looked it up.  Not sure if you could find one online or not.

There were a lot of youtube videos with people reviewing it, setting it up, etc., that might be worth a look.  Sorry to recommend a discontinued tent , but hopefully this helps you in your search. 

4/11/2018 11:31 am  #3

Hey PA

So I just bought a TarpTent Hogback.. did a lot of research and it is generally accepted to be 1 of the top 4 man tents on the market. Only slightly out of your price range.( $439)
I know you said 2 -3 man but this tent is only a little over 4 lbs so lighter than most 2 - 3 man tents out there.
Set up is very easy and like I said gets great reviews.. 
Has an optional cross pole so can be used in light snow winter conditions.
The vestibules aren't huge but it is a 4 man so I plan on using it as a 2-3 man and keep some gear/dog in the tent too.
Really well thought out tent

The Scarp 2 is the smaller version of this tent so that might be of interest. ( https://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html )

Hogback
https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

Set up video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=606Ix0jFy7E

Detailed review.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Tarptent%20Hogback%20Tent/Test%20Report%20by%20Jerry%20Goller/

Last edited by ShawnD (4/11/2018 11:49 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/11/2018 11:49 am  #4

I have a Mutha Hubba that we use as a 2 person tent. Personally I wouldn't want to go any smaller in terms of total footprint. If I was looking at the Hubba Hubba then I'd probably want to add the Gear Shed:

https://www.msrgear.com/ca/tents/gear-shed

4/11/2018 12:44 pm  #5

We have 2 tents we use depending on the trip.

The MEC Wanderer is what we use for easy trips without much portaging. It's roomy and I like that it has 2 vestibules. We've had it for over a decade now and have never had any issues with it. It probably gets 2-15 days of use depending on the year.

We have an REI Quarter Dome for when we want to go lighter weight. It's tight for 2 people but if you're fine with snuggling, it's very comfortable and it packs up small and light. We've had it for about 5 years with no issues. Probably gets 2-20 days use/year.

The big difference we notice between the two is the all mesh interior of the Quarter Dome versus the mesh-windows only of the Wanderer. We get much less condensation build up and really improved airflow in the Quarter Dome. This makes a big difference on wet and/or warm trips. 

4/11/2018 12:46 pm  #6

I use the MSR Hubba Hubba NX (2 person) as my solo tent - I've had it a few years now, and had the previous Hubba Hubba version before it. I have nothing but great things to say about the tent and would highly recommend it. 

4/11/2018 2:21 pm  #7

Uppa wrote:

I use the MSR Hubba Hubba NX (2 person) as my solo tent - I've had it a few years now, and had the previous Hubba Hubba version before it. I have nothing but great things to say about the tent and would highly recommend it. 

I second Uppa's recommendation...  I've also had this tent for some years now...  One big bonus for me for this tent vs other UL 2 person tents was the vestibules on this are a little larger (well at least when comparing when I purchased)...  All in all a great tent...  Happy shopping 😄

Edit: I'm 6'2", and while not an abundance of room, I don't feel cramped.  FYI re sizing 😄

Last edited by Ash (4/11/2018 2:47 pm)

4/11/2018 3:15 pm  #8

Not certain on quality of this brand yet but very reasonable. Canadian company which is cool but not sure on country of origin. Might be worth a look.

www.hotcoreproducts.com/products/adventure-tents

Last edited by Shayne74 (4/11/2018 3:47 pm)

4/12/2018 6:34 am  #9

Cannot thank you all enough - the experience and insights offered here on AA are top notch!

4/12/2018 8:09 am  #10

Lots of good suggestions, so I will just point out a feature that drives me nuts.

Although they are sometimes slightly lighter, asymmetrical tents  don't offer the same roominess. Specifically tents with one vestibule up front that tapers to the feet in the back, like the MEC Tarn's. You always have to sit shoulder to shoulder, get dressed shoulder to shoulder, etc... I used to own one, and it always felt like a constant elbow battle with the tent mate. 

Also, step one person up, go with a 3 man for sure, or at least something with a massive over sized vestibule. Unless the tent will be used only for hiking long distances in the summer, the couple extra grams is worth the room a 3 person tent gives you.

4/12/2018 9:14 am  #11

Much appreciated!

4/12/2018 11:15 am  #12

I'm a big fan of the MEC tents.  Very well built, decent prices and rock solid warranty.

4/12/2018 1:24 pm  #13

im with steve on the MEC tents. Have owned several ones, the latest the TGV2. Depending on your size (im just short of 6 feet) it would be tight for 2  larger people. I love the vestibule on it. weight is 6 lbs.
But like others, go a size up, you"ll be happy with the extra space in bad weather or shoulder seasons with cold winds. TGV2 just large enough to sit up with 2 and play a boardgame, cards etc.

4/13/2018 1:34 pm  #14

I'd say for your budget you can by any 2-person and most 3-person tents on the market, except probably for Copper Spur, for the very reason that it's ultra light tent, meaning it will be the least durable option in Big Agnes product line. I confirmed this with their customer service.Their Manzanares tent is much less pricey. It's about the same design as Copper Spur, but more durable and heavy - probably for that reason it's not included in any 2018 reviews. I'd go with 3-person tent for 2 people being comfortable. It's still only 5lbs.

4/13/2018 3:06 pm  #15

I own and recommend the REI Quarter Dome 2 Plus tent and am extremely happy with both the roominess and performance. It is reasonably priced and has received excellent ratings by various outdoor magazines and orgs.

Clyde 

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

4/13/2018 4:33 pm  #16

I used the eureka alpinelite and have never had a worry about it. Been a good tent for a lot of years now. 

https://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/529?s=section_4

4/14/2018 1:44 pm  #17

Pardon my late response - like Rob, we also have a MSR Mutha Hubba tent and just love it. It's nearly 10 years old now and has survived many trips including those with heavy winds and rain. It's been absolutely bulletproof. Despite its heaviness (nearly 6 lbs), it's often our go-to tent even for backpacking (we also have a Big Agnes UL Scout 2 tent). Having said that, the reviews for the newer Mutha Hubba seem to indicate problems that we've never encountered, so maybe there have been regressive design changes over time. Truly unfortunate if that's the case!

Last edited by hiker72 (4/14/2018 1:50 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.