You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2018 8:34 am  #1

getting in shape for the upcoming canoe/ Kayak season

Looking for some tips on getting ready for my first paddle / portage trip in early May. I am fairly new to the scene and was wondering if most of you guys /gals follow the old school hockey training camp style (get in shape during your first trip) or do you follow a simulation style off season routine ?

3/29/2018 9:30 am  #2

Re: getting in shape for the upcoming canoe/ Kayak season

hi r2
   i am a bike rider, that seems to help me get along the portages in algonquin. great old rail bed trails all over peterborough county.  i hit every other day.
   i do several types of planks every day, helps with the core, and lower back. plenty of examples on line. i also do push ups every day, several times day building up to more reps, helps my paddling. 
i eat greek yogurt for the protein to help heal the micro tears from exercising. drink chocolate milk to refuel, more protein.
  i have no sympathy for people that do not take the time to ice a injury. ice really helps cool down hot shots from working out. especially if you are just starting out. it seems like a hassle , but it only take a few minutes . several days after icing switch to heat. 
 above all ,listen to your body. know when to quite.  be sure to start off slowly. every other day gives your muscles a chance to heal, before you go at it again.
  check with your dr. before you start. 
    just climb some stairs.

3/29/2018 11:12 am  #3

I have no issues cardio-wise but I notice that it takes a few times in the spring with a canoe on my head to refine the mental aspect of my portage game. 

3/29/2018 11:15 am  #4

Trail hiking with a pack and ankle weights makes future portages painless.

3/29/2018 4:08 pm  #5

I run all winter and into spring, about 50km a week, right up until a few days before my first camping trip of the year.

Then I fatten up over the summer and fall, until it's time to repeat the cycle again!

3/30/2018 7:47 am  #6

Thanks for all of your input, it looks like what I am doing already should make my first trip a little less painful. I do 3 days a week of small group training which includes weights , core and a cardio component, I have added daily incline treadmill walks while wearing a pack that I am slowly increasing in weight. Looking forward to getting back out there. Thanks again

3/30/2018 12:14 pm  #7

I lack the personal discipline required for regular exercise, but for the past few years I have done a couple of things in preparation for tripping. 
1) I walk around the neighborhood with a canoe on my head.  There's a pond nearby, so I carry it there, paddle around, then carry it back.  The carry is around 1KM each way.  Added benefit, my neighbors think I'm nuts. 
2) I try to get on the water as often as I can. 
3) this one is a little different.  My ankles are not great, and I'm sure a creamed ankle is a very common injury in the park.  So, this year in particular, I've been doing these rubber-band exercises to strengthen the muscles in my lower legs/around the ankle.  I can feel the difference in the few weeks I've been doing it.  Much more solid on my feet, much less pain in general in the joint between foot and lower leg.  I had physical therapy for this many years ago, and it is (some of) those exercises I am repeating.

3/30/2018 2:50 pm  #8

Hopefully that works for you Dontgroandaddy , a turned ankle is definitely a major concern when you are a few portages deep.

Last edited by R2 (3/30/2018 2:52 pm)

3/30/2018 5:10 pm  #9

As suggested, biking and carrying a canoe around are two good activities that will get you into portage shape. But if you find it difficult to find the time to do both you can try this.

Dave

3/30/2018 5:31 pm  #10

Algonquintripper wrote:

As suggested, biking and carrying a canoe around are two good activities that will get you into portage shape. But if you find it difficult to find the time to do both you can try this.

nice form, that would certainly speed up portaging.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.