You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2015 8:13 pm  #1

Tim Lake - October 1 to 4 (lots of pics)

Just got back from a three night trip into Tim Lake.  I was very excited for this trip as this was the first time my 8 year old son got to go on an interior trip into the Park, and we were also going with my dad.  This was the first time the three generations were able to get into the Park interior together, and it was awesome!
We arrived at the Park first thing Thursday morning and picked up our permit at 8 am.  There were two other groups waiting at the same time, so we were a bit nervous about how busy it might be.

We arrived at the access point and began loading our gear into our canoe.  We usually pack pretty heavy and knew that we would be pusing it this time with the extra body and extra gear.  When we got everything loaded into the canoe we realized we were too heavy in the water.  Fortunately a kind fellow paddler was putting in at the same time and offered to shuttle a couple of our bags for us to our site, so that we wouldn't have to do two trips (super nice of him!).   It was a really windy day and the paddle across the Lake to the far campsite was a tough one.

We chose to stay on the site on the far south east corner of the Lake.  It was a nice site and made a great home for the three nights. 

My son was super eager and loved every minute of it.  We had him helping with the harvesting of fire wood, making fires, cooking, etc.  He sure didn't seem to miss his iPad and we never heard a complaint from him the entire time.  We did evening paddles two nights down to the portage towards Rosebary Lake, in hopes of finding wildlife.  On the first night we got lucky and my son saw his first moose.  He was literally shaking with excitement so that was pretty cool!  We paddled back in the dark (we love night paddles) and listened closely to any sounds of wildlife in the forest.  Amazing how the mood of an area can change from day to night. 

On day two we paddled our way down towards Rosebary, but didn't make it all the way down.  We found a terrible little spot on the side of the marshy river to get out and make up a quick lunch and coffee/hot chocolate.  There sure aren't many (if any) spots to pull out in that section...but that's all part of the adventure!

On the second last day we paddled back to the truck and drove out so that my son could call home (mom was a bit nervous and wanted us to check in).  We explored a couple Crown Land campsites and have considered trying to camp on one next fall.  We had lunch at the little falls along Forestry Tower Road and explored that area a bit as well.  The wind was BRUTAL and the trip back to camp across the lake was exhausting.  We saw another group of 6 that decided to wait out the winds at the entrance to the lake.   We finally made it back to camp and relaxed by the fire for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

I could have stayed up for another three nights but unfortunately work and school had us return home today   All in all it was a fantastic trip and we made some incredible memories.  Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Steve E (10/04/2015 8:18 pm)

10/04/2015 8:37 pm  #2

Re: Tim Lake - October 1 to 4 (lots of pics)

Lovely as always!

10/04/2015 8:50 pm  #3

Thanks ChristineCanoes! 

Oh I meant to add, I made a smart purchase that I will bring on future trips into the park.  I picked up a few of those foil oven cover thingies from the dollar store.  They worked great for cooking, reflecting heat back around your chair around the fire, and for covering the fire pit in the rain (could still have a fire without worrying about the rain putting it out).  All for a buck! 

10/04/2015 8:51 pm  #4

That smile on your son's face says it all

10/06/2015 11:10 pm  #5

Great pics as always. Love the hammock shot. So nice you could create those memories. Now your son has the bug, I'm sure you have lots to look forward to

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

10/07/2015 12:28 am  #6

Looks like a great time enjoyed by all Steve. So is your Son joining you this Winter?

10/07/2015 7:48 am  #7

Thanks for the TR Steve. Your son will remember this trip for the rest of his life

10/07/2015 8:04 am  #8

Thanks guys!  I'm hoping to get my son up for a winter trip this year.  We did a yurt a couple years ago and have done some winter camping at Valens, but I'd love to get him hot tenting or cold tenting in Algonquin

4/24/2016 6:37 pm  #9

Steve, awesome photos, especially the star trail one. We might go to Tim lake this August, Ive read some reports mentioning it being infested with leaches. Did you find that to be the case? I'd hate it if the waters edge near campsite is crawling with them.

Thanks!

4/24/2016 6:49 pm  #10

We were there first week of September last year, swam around at quite a few places in the lake, including the big north beach as well as the shallow southern strip of sand. Never saw any leeches. Not sure of the time of year has anything to do with them, but the water was quite warm as we had a hot spell in that week.

4/24/2016 7:07 pm  #11

That's awesome. As we are going towards the end of August, the time of the year will be close. Thanks!

4/25/2016 7:46 am  #12

We didn't see any but in all honesty we weren't swimming so we weren't really looking for them.  It's a mix of sand/weed bottom near our campsite so I would have expected to see some leeches if we were swimming

4/25/2016 12:22 pm  #13

I did see leeches (many) in Tim Lake last August at the access point but not at our campsite (east side mainland, site on the point). I had previously been told the site near the Tim River portage is leechy - following the flow of the water, I suppose.

4/25/2016 7:05 pm  #14

Thank you both.

Spicol, looks like you stayed at site 2. Site1 which is close to the Tim river portage is my last choice. Thanks!

My first preference are the two sites on the east side of the island. Have to scout it out, of course. Concerned about fire wood availability on the island. Site 3 where OP stayed is very intriguing as well, due to the supposed marsh land which may attract wildlife.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Gilgamesh (4/25/2016 7:06 pm)

4/26/2016 9:04 am  #15

Gilgamesh, we stayed on site 6 on the island. Trip report is online.
Large site on east, has a bit of grass, 2 unloading points for canoes, great swimming spots.  See pics in trip report under my name Wanda Spruyt in algonquinadventures trip reports

4/26/2016 12:48 pm  #16

Gilgamesh, yes, it was Site 2 in the PCI.

On the island, Site 4 is quite sloped with one suitable tent spot but it can be tough to find other suitable spots for 2-3 person tents. Site 6 is good, as others have said.

4/30/2016 9:32 am  #17

tentsterforever wrote:

Gilgamesh, we stayed on site 6 on the island. Trip report is online.
Large site on east, has a bit of grass, 2 unloading points for canoes, great swimming spots.  See pics in trip report under my name Wanda Spruyt in algonquinadventures trip reports

Excellent trip report and site#6 looks so luxurious, wow!.... Appreciate you review if the dried meals too, thanks!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.