You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2015 6:35 pm  #1

Daisy Lake trip, September 27-29, 2015

We departed Toronto at 08:10 and arrived at Kearney at 11:26. AP #3, Magnetawan Lake, is another 38 km from Kearney, down Highway 518 and then Forestry Tower Road. Much of this is gravel with a washboard surface limiting you to about 40 kph so it takes a little extra time to reach this access point than to Canoe Lake. Leave the Porsche at home.

Once everything was loaded and I was ready to launch the Wenonah on it's maiden voyage it was 13:20. The sky was clear and the temperature in the low 20s. Perfect canoeing weather. I had elected to use two 30 litre backpacks - one for gear and food and one for my cloths, sleeping bag and pad - rather than one large pack to allow more flexibility in trimming the canoe, if needed, but this was not an issue. Both bags went in the rear and Corky took the bow.

On the way to Daisy I alternated between using a single paddle and the double bladed kayak paddle I borrowed from my brother. It worked out well. Although there is a serene elegance to paddling down a shore line with a traditional paddle, you can definitely move much faster with the double blade as there is no need for any corrective strokes and it is certainly an advantage if there is a wind. I'll need a longer length for use with a canoe but I knew that already. With a bit of practice, though, I was able to come up with a pretty effective stroke. The canoe cuts through the water fairly quickly and I had no problems keeping it tracking true. Corky adjusted better than I expected to the lesser initial stability of the canoe due to the narrower width and actually seemed more content as she had more room. In the tandems she had to be either between my legs or perched up on top of the gear piled in the centre.

We arrived at Daisy at about 4pm, just about in line with Jeff's estimates - always a good standard to strive for - and made our way to the southern island site (#4). This site is nice. It's large with light tree cover and a significant slope coming up from the water but has level tent pads, a nice fire pit, good water access and some rocky areas on the shore for sitting. This was the night of the Blood Moon but unfortunately the cloud cover moved in just before dusk and I couldn't even see the moon. The next day was cloudy and breezy but we tooted around the lake for a couple of hours trolling for trout but they just laughed at us. Maybe it was just the wind I heard but I don't think so. It started raining that night around 3 am and continued on and off through the morning so I had to pack up everything wet. My favourite thing! Fortunately, the weather cleared by the time we were ready to start our trip back and we had a nice paddle out. With all the rain the night before, I decided to attempt bypassing the 55m portage at Acme Pond and had no issues. All in all, a successful shake out trip for the new boat. Here are a couple of pics. As you can see, the fall colours were just starting to come out at this time.

PS: this first picture, with the saw blade, is actually the other island site, #3.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (10/03/2015 7:05 pm)

Dave

10/03/2015 8:19 pm  #2

Re: Daisy Lake trip, September 27-29, 2015

How was the double paddle? I used mine for the first time last week, I'm a convert. 

Marko

10/04/2015 8:34 am  #3

Hey Marco. The paddle I borrowed was a Cannon Wave with a carbon shaft. A nice paddle but too short for my use at only 220cm. It did give me an idea, though, of the advantages of a DB and I think I'll be a convert as well for purposes of travel but I think I'll still turn to the traditional single blade for those leasurely evening paddles down the shorline. 

Dave

10/04/2015 8:56 am  #4

Last fall when I was on the island the saw blade was on site #4 not #3. I know the year before that was the case as well... I wonder why someone would go through the trouble of moving it? You are lucky both of the sites were vacant, I noticed that lake has been almost booked solid for the entire season! Ive been trying to spend a night on that lake all summer but never found an opening!

10/04/2015 9:21 am  #5

Token, I rechecked the map to make sure I wasn't confusing the site numbers and the saw blade is indeed on #4, the western side of the island. I agree it does not look like it would be an easy process moving that thing around. I've come across old posts indicating it was at one time on one of the north-west sites (#1 or 2) as well. Maybe there is more than one? Sasquatch muscle toning activity, perhaps?

In terms of the bookings, I had wanted to go earlier in the month but I found the same thing - all booked except for maybe a lone day or two mid week. Even Saturday the 26th was booked but then the calendar seemed to just open up. I saw one other canoe Sunday evening going along the east shore and then nothing for the rest of the trip. Wide open right now.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (10/04/2015 9:32 am)

Dave

10/04/2015 10:13 am  #6

Unfortunatly due to my work schedule I wont be doing any more portaging in unless on day trips this year. I dont have consecutive days off anymore so the only chances I'll have for camping is leave after work at 2PM and come back the next day, which unfortunately wont give me enough time to reach Daisy.

10/04/2015 10:44 am  #7

10 Years ago Barry and I stayed on site 1 on Daisy and the sawblade was our table. It looks too big to carry by canoe so how did it get to the island? 

Last edited by billsalgonquin (10/04/2015 10:59 am)

10/04/2015 10:58 am  #8

Here is the picture of the blade-table. 

10/04/2015 8:14 pm  #9

Great pics!  Love the close up of the pooch in the canoe

10/07/2015 12:23 am  #10

You all need to stop thinking about moving the saw blade with 1 canoe. Lash it across the gunwales of 2 canoes and barge it to wherever you want.
Only advisable with rental canoes trimmed out in aluminum of course.

10/07/2015 8:03 am  #11

This is a timely occasion to discourage the moving of any archaeologic artifacts in the park ...
From the archived ABR booklet ..
From the September 2011 Raven http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/raven_2011_2.pdf

In addition are regulations based in the Ontario Heritage Act (Ontario Regulation 170/04) ...

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_040170_e.htm
"archaeological site" means any property that contains an artifact or any other physical evidence of past human use or activity that is of cultural heritage value or interest;
"artifact" means any object, material or substance that is made, modified, used, deposited or affected by human action and is of cultural heritage value or interest;

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90o18_e.htm#BK83
48. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall do any of the following unless the person applies to the Minister and is issued a licence under this Part that allows the person to carry out the activity in question:
1. Carry out archaeological fieldwork.
2. Knowing that a site is a marine or other archaeological site, within the meaning of the regulations, alter the site or remove an artifact or any other physical evidence of past human use or activity from the site.

The crux of these commentaries is that such artifacts as the saw blade(s) should be left where they are found .. neither "taken home' nor "moved about". Changing their location takes away from their informational "context" and always runs the risk of their being damaged or lost!

10/07/2015 8:35 am  #12

Third-last paragraph... information on sites identified on maps is released on a "need to know" basis...  suggesting that park policy will not allow the general public to access the info.

Sidenote.... news reports of looting of Egyptian archaeological sites and other places like Syria is at an all-time high right now. APP artifacts won't hold that much value but Indiana Jones wannabees might go looking.

Last edited by frozentripper (10/07/2015 8:37 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.