You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2018 6:02 pm  #1

Route Suggestions - Summer

Hello everyone,
My partner and I are planning a trip for this summer, likely a few days near the middle of a July. Last year we went backpacking at Isle Royale National Park and did 64km over 5 days on the Greenstone Ridge trail, but that was our first backpacking experience (we dove right in, clearly). We're probably looking at 4-5 days again though we're pretty fleixible. What do you guys recommend for our first time through Algonquin? We're not looking to portage this time around, saving that for the next time, though I know we'd both enjoy some time near water if possible. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by savethesun (3/23/2018 6:09 pm)

3/25/2018 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Route Suggestions - Summer

Hi there,

If you're looking at pure backpacking for 4-5 days, here are some ideas that may work well, based roughly on the pacing of your last hike, with each site situated on a lake:

1) The Highland Backpacking trail, doing a 'figure-8' trek along the trail
Night one - either the Eastern end of Provoking Lake or Faya Lake (make sure you check out the Lookout after Starling Lake). Note that Faya Lake can be difficult to book
Night two - Head Lake or Harness Lake
Night three - Western side of Provoking

2) Western Uplands Trail (WUT) - 1st and 2nd loop
Night one - Little Hardy, Steeprise or Maggie Lake
Night two - Clara Lake (or Pincher Lake if Clara is booked up)
Night three - Rainbow Lake
Night four - Thunder Lake (or Lupus or Ramona if Thunder is booked, with Lupus being quieter)

3) WUT - 3rd loop (via Rain Lake access point)
Night one - Brown's Lake (avoid Ishkuday Lake unless absolutely necessary)
Night two - Loft Lake
Night three - Pincher Lake
Night four - Weed Lake or Islet Lake

Note - alternatively, you can take the portage 'shortcut' to Lady Slipper Lake to cut down the 3rd loop distance and do it in 4 days/3 nights, omitting the Loft Lake stay.

Here's a link to an online map if needed:
http://www.algonquinmap.com/

Hope this helps - let us know if you have any questions...

Cheers,

Rich

3/26/2018 9:53 am  #3

Re: Route Suggestions - Summer

I hike Algonquin and love it but I'd suggest that this will be a very different experience vs Greenstone Ridge. Algonquin hikes are not terribly scenic. Trails run through mixed forest, occasionally happening upon a nice stream and/or waterfall. Lake views generally only occur at campsites and all campsites will be situated on a lake.

If you're looking for solitude, peace and trees, Algonquin trails have that. If you prefer the vistas of a ridge hike, I'd suggest Killarney.

Rich gave some good advice, I'll just suggest that on Highland, the western sites on the North side of Provoking (still called Provoking West when you reserve) are much preferable to the grouping of two sites a little south of there.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.