You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2018 12:07 pm  #1

Booth's Rock Trail

I understand there is a great vista overlooking Gordon Lake on the Booth's Rock trail.

Can anyone identify exactly where that is on the trail? Based on photos it would appear to be pretty close to Gordon, but the portion of the trail closest to Gordon doubles as a portage, so I'd be surprised that a portage has so much elevation.

3/07/2018 3:01 pm  #2

Re: Booth's Rock Trail

I do not remember a great vista looking out over Gordon Lake,  its a bit of a non descript lake in my memory.The great vista from the outlook point is not over Gordon Lake but  over Rock lake. The portage from rock to gordon is very well travelled, goes slightly uphill untill you pass rose pond, then onto  Gordon Lake. The Booths rock trail then continues on a steep climb to the outlook point. Right after the outlook point you descend over steep stairs back on the Booths rock trail. Its been a couple of years since i hiked it so i hope my memory is correct.

3/07/2018 8:17 pm  #3

The trail between the parking lot and Gordon is flat or very slightly up hill. It climbs after you turn right and go up to the Rock Lake lookout. I don't remember any vista overlooking Gordon lake.

3/07/2018 9:39 pm  #4

People have mislabeled things, thanks for setting me straight. Which direction is faster if I want to do a faster there and back rather than the full circle?

3/07/2018 10:05 pm  #5

John McClane wrote:

People have mislabeled things, thanks for setting me straight. Which direction is faster if I want to do a faster there and back rather than the full circle?

Are you coming from a canoe or on foot?

I haven't done the portage, but I would guess it's about the same clockwise vs. counter clockwise... if you're coming from a canoe though, you can land on the small beach where the rail bed intersects the water, just east of the campsite, and that would be your quickest route.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/08/2018 8:52 am  #6

If you only want to go to Gordon lake then just do the booth/portage trail.  (Clockwise) Parking at the trailhead just past the campground. Since Gordon lake is about 1/3 of the way up if you start at trailhead, portage trail is still the shortest. The outlook point is roughly half way . Going the other way,( counterclockwise) youdd have to deal with quite a steep ascend on steep stairs and in my opinion is the longer way.

3/08/2018 9:25 am  #7

I actually only want to do the lookout and will be coming by foot (while waiting for the rest of my crew to arrive at the Rock Lake access before our canoe trip).

Sounds like the portage is the way to go?

Last edited by John McClane (3/08/2018 9:26 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.