You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2018 10:27 am  #1

Kayoke?

Hi Folks!,

Question for the kayakers here - Has anyone used the kayoke?  If so, could you offer your input - Ease of setup, comfort on portage, weight, overall yes/no?

Link:
www.thekayoke.com

Last year I did a solo trip into the park with my new kayak using a yoke I had made for my old kayak - It worked okay for my old boat, but left much to be desired for my new boat.  So this year planning my next solo trip with a couple longer portages I want to explore my yoke options...  I know Uppa makes his own and I'll likely take a peak at his site, however in the exploratory stage - I'm curious of other's feedback of the kayoke...

Many thanks in advance!,

2/28/2018 10:43 am  #2

Re: Kayoke?

Hey Ash, 

I've heard of the kayoke but never looked into it until now. It seems a straight-forward enough design that won't cause too many issues. Only thing I don't like about it is that balance is a big deal when portaging a kayak, and that design means every time you're attaching it it can be in a different spot. You'll want to find your kayak's 'sweet spot' and then mark that somehow on both sides of your cockpit to avoid the problem. 

In my entirely unbiased opinion, my yoke is better ;)

2/28/2018 11:02 am  #3

My buddy uses one of those yokes. I don't know much about it but he doesn't have any complaints with it that I know of. Seems to get the job done.

I don't really see it in action too much though as he is always significantly behind me on the portages with his kayak.

Edit: ok I asked my friend about it and this is what he said.

“I am going to make the straps permanently attach I think. They keep sliding through. Have to make sure it’s good and tight or it comes loose and hurts”

Last edited by ShawnD (3/02/2018 5:38 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/02/2018 5:14 pm  #4

Thanks for your input guys :-)

Pupa: Agree re 'sweet spot'.  Think that was my problem with using my homemade one for my older boat with my new boat - Their 'sweet spots' weren't in sync lol!  I think it's adjustable to match a boat's 'sweet spot', but if not would definitely mark the cockpit...

@ShawnD: Good know, and thanks for inquiring of your buddy :-).  Re 'he's significantly behind on portages' - That almost sounds like canoer vs kayaker fighting words lol ;-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.